First budget tractor.

harvey b davison

if any one is wanting tractors check out cheffins cambridge sale sutton nr. ely dates Cheffins - Sale Dates & Catalogues and also there is one in bristol by the way my brother has a 1951 gery ferguson strate petrol 6vlot his got the v5 to it i thnk he wants to sell but not total sure on what he is going to do with it as he also said he was going to vintage rallys and that sort of stuff as he has got a matching plough for it

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The hydraulics are not great on grey fergies, it was an optional extra and had poor hydraulic flow at best.

The PTO isnt that hot either come to think of it.

I sold my grey fergy and paid £3500 for an 83 International Harvester 885 XL 4x4, the IHs have great hydraulics so my splitter is really quick and cuts through all but the nottiest wood.

Cheers for the info guys, i like the fact your all saying get an old one, instead of a compact. Still fancy a diesel fergy tho. What are David Browns like. How much roughly would a pto chipper be (4" max) and would a fergy be powerful enough to run it. Again any info much appreciated.

little fergys and david browns are great, we run both!!!

2 35's for sawbench, logsplitter and mower

david brown 1212 for post knocker, sawbench, logsplitter and winch

all great tactors :thumbup:

dont have any expirence with pto chippers, so cant help you with that sorry

DSC01308.jpg.c1a59445e747281159224b7e02b7fe2d.jpg

DSC00449.jpg.9ca24e65bdeb6ed30bb4ede77e985e21.jpg

DSC01133.jpg.165ee9756889ba1c038d279cc87d6bba.jpg

DSC00412.jpg.8c60291836d0a65b396f100d9032ad92.jpg

if you need 4 wheel drive then you really only have compact kubota or JD to choose from. I bought a new Jinma 204 for our horticulture enterprise back in 1998 and it finally bent a pesh rod after over 6000 hours of hard work rotovating, topping, hay making, saw bench, etc. Now bought old MF 550 to run saw bench but being 2 wheel drive have already got it stuck fast whereas Jinma would have kept going. I would have replaced the Jinma with Kubota or JD but both to expensive s/hand. Looked at new Jinma but quality seems to have disappeared to make them cheap.

Some advice please chaps. I'm looking at buying my first tractor next year. I'm buying on a tight budget and unsure which way to go. The tractor is for personal use on the allotment mainly but i also want to put a small (4" max) chipper on the back. Now i'm unsure whether to go down the compact ( kubota / iseki ) route or get an old fergie ( or something similar ) It would only get used once a week if that sometimes. As long as i can do usual stuff with it, ie , plough, rotovate and maybe grass cutting sometimes then i dont mind. What do you lot think. ( oh and it must be road legal ) as it will be stored at home but must go on road the the garden and parents. Any advice much appreciated.:confused1:

here u go mate International 955 4wd tractor on eBay (end time 04-Jan-11 20:30:46 GMT)