first sign of a dodgy flywheel bearing?

daveindales

Whats usually the first sign of a flywheel bearing that is past it's best. My entec has a slight whine when it first starts up. This seems to disappear after machine is warmed up. Could it be the bearing? entec ch25ph, same bearing as 30dh, I think. Still chips ok.

Could be the bearing.

Take the Belts off and Spin the Disc,you may hear Rumbling or Sqeaking both are signs of Bad bearing(s).

You can try to shift the disc with a bar any play up or down means the Bearing(s) are going.

Replace both bearings as then you know the jobs done.

Does the machine vibrate much? They have a habit of loosing a chunk of off the alloy paddles which then does the bearings and sometimes shaft. As previous posters say, check for movement back and forth with a lever and up and down, remove the belts first.

be very careful, if there is wear on the bearings and you start it up to working revolutions, if the flywheel goes out of balance or the bearing breaks up, you will witness enormous damage to the machine..... that's if you survive the explosion of kinetic energy. If you are not sure get it checked out by a suitable engineer etc. The only reason i know is that it happened to a chipper i had that was having its disc blades changed and the guy doing it revved it up to check it, it made a noise that cost 3k to put right ! i was stood about 25mt away at the time with Jeremy Clarkson telling him how impressed he would be with the performance after new blades so that we could finish his work on time good luck, i hope you get it sorted

Mike