Experience of Radweld?

djbobbins

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yep seen raw eggs used in a rad works well too. Rad weld/eggs will only be a temp fix. You can get rads re-cored which means they just replace the core of the rad and fit all the other stuff back on I have done this on a number of different vehicles and it can save a packet of cash.

Thanks for the feedback guys, much appreciated.

Along with radweld I can think about raw eggs and something that looks like porridge. Mind you, if anyone suggests other breakfast related fixes - e.g. poking a bacon butty and a couple of hash browns into the rad - I might start to think there's a bit of urine extraction going on...:001_tt2:

Good call about keeping another bottle of radweld at hand; will pop back to the shop tomorrow if I get time.

I'll keep an eye on the coolant levels and if I remember to do so will post my experience on here.

Never had alot of luck with rad seal. Ce lite very good k seal the best but £25 and alot of faf if used right. Eggs only work on vintage stuff if not pressurised. If you have a 7 psi rad cap eggs come straight out and make a right mess inside the engine. Changing heater matirix always pita especislly if its got ac

I used k-seal in my van only had a small leak which i would not have had a chance to find so it fixed it but on the bottle its says it is supoosed to stop head gasket leaks but that would take some doing. I think a small bottle does 20l of cooling system but mine was only 8 so used about half cost me about £8 for the bottle.

Matt

With our old Discovery we put a Rad leak stopper solution into the system. It stopped the leak which was only a broken/split rad pipe. About 20 miles later the water temp shot up and the engine died. We were only doin 70 on a dual carriageway. We checked the header tank which was full. It turned out the solution had slowly "rubberized" in the system and blocked up the small lines that run into the cylinder head. Cough, splutter dead. £596 later new cylinder head, new rad, flushed system with ethanol to remove rubber. Sounds steep but most of the price was labour.

Thanks for the feedback guys, much appreciated.

Along with radweld I can think about raw eggs and something that looks like porridge. Mind you, if anyone suggests other breakfast related fixes - e.g. poking a bacon butty and a couple of hash browns into the rad - I might start to think there's a bit of urine extraction going on...:001_tt2:

Good call about keeping another bottle of radweld at hand; will pop back to the shop tomorrow if I get time.

I'll keep an eye on the coolant levels and if I remember to do so will post my experience on here.

Haha give me a vision of someone rammin bacon sandwich in the radiator. The time I used radweld on the 205 it burst it's water all over the floor in one go outside an mma gym the first time I went so I felt stupid outside aswel as inside when they beat me up haha but I put two bottles in and it lasted a good while

Has anyone got any experience of Radweld?

I noticed my Trooper was getting hot over the weekend and when I checked the coolant it was low - shamefully low, I have to admit - I put about 4 litres in to bring it back up to level.

So - having refilled it and done another couple of hundred miles, it'd emptied the reservoir again this morning, so I have stuck a couple of bottles of Radweld in it, filled up with antifreeze and tried again.

After a couple of trips today (about 30 miles) the reservoir level appears to be staying constant.

I can't say that I expect the radweld to be a permanent fix, but just wondered whether I should be getting on the phone to the friendly mechanic now or whether it will hold up until the next service is due in about three months time? Could do without a big bill at the moment, what with Christmas and all that!

If anyone has got any experience of using radweld I would appreciate a bit of feedback...

Cheers

Might be worth checking the oil levels. Is it the 3.0 litre one. The head went on our one - she took off, couldn't stop the engine on the key, had to stall the engine in 4th with the brakes full on. Massive clouds of oily smoke and the head knackered. Apparently before they do this they can start "using" water, some of which gets into the oil increasing its level.

Something similar happened to our TD5 Landrover defender - not as common on the landys, very common on the 3.0 litre troopers