sharpening chains

David Riding

My local husky dealer charges £6, I live in NW who's you local dealer if you don't mind me asking.

I was at Dick Leigh's today so I asked, a regrind is £4.50 for chains up to 25", they only grind a small amount off each tooth to prevent "blueing", if the chain is very bad they grind all the teeth a second time, and so on till sharp, this is included in the £4.50.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I find this way of working all very strange, sharpening a chain takes minuets, I wouldn't dream of taking off a chain till its scrap:confused1:

Skyhuck - Sharpenning a chain on site is never as good as in a work shop.. and it holds the job up. I don't know what type of work you generally do but if you hit something with a big saw it takes way more than minutes to sharpen it.

Chogging down urban trees and having to cut them in to small bits means you often incounter all sorts of crud at all sorts of levels. Just because I have eight chains on the go for a saw doesn't mean i'm going to use more chains in the long run. I rekon they last longer, as I don't knacker them by using them when blunt. I've blunted 8 chains on one trunk before, sharpenning big saws on site IMO is a last resort.

And I hate the round files which sometimes only last one chain!

What about the arial rescue side of things? would be interested to know if he is trained for this task?

Mine isn't.

Another good reason to hang onto decent staff. Mine started 3 weeks ago and is making good progress, but I reckon it's going to be about 12 month before he is ready for sending on courses.

The good thing about Huddersfield is the Tree Surgeons round here have a good working relationship with each other. We don't shun each other, we stop and chat when we can etc.

As a result we can call on each other when we get a big or complex takedown in order to have the correct qualified staff on the ground and in the tree.

This monday I had me and my groundy and another tree surgeon and his groundy, I just price him in with the job. There is about six or seven locally that I could call on and that can call on me to help.

Once my groundy is qualified then the problem isn't as bad, but this is one of the problems of finding someone that is ken enough to stay long enough to get qualified and then not bogg of once you have paid for all his qualifications.

Once my groundy is qualified then the problem isn't as bad, but this is one of the problems of finding someone that is ken enough to stay long enough to get qualified and then not bogg of once you have paid for all his qualifications.

Dean the answer is simple, Make the groundy sign a contract to the fact that if you pay for his qualifications and he leaves within say a year he has to pay the money back!

Dean the answer is simple, Make the groundy sign a contract to the fact that if you pay for his qualifications and he leaves within say a year he has to pay the money back!

Very difficult to make stick legally, and not that sound ethically

Very difficult to make stick legally, and not that sound ethically

True, but not uncommon in other trades. I've a mate teaching / flying helicopters and he has to pay for any training that he's had in the last 24 months!:thumbdown:

Skyhuck - Sharpenning a chain on site is never as good as in a work shop.. and it holds the job up. I don't know what type of work you generally do but if you hit something with a big saw it takes way more than minutes to sharpen it.

Sharpened my 25" 66 today and timed it (not something I've done before)I gave each tooth 3 strokes of a nearly new file and took down the raker's by to strokes with a flat file, from start to finish just over 4 minuets.