Defender battery?

monkeyboy

This probably isnt going to be much help, but IMO its not the battery. If you are trying several times, THEN the starter engages it isnt the battery.

However, if you go for a new battery and intend keeping the truck for a while, do as some of the others say and get a good one. Cheap doesnt last with batteries. My 2002 td5(with winch) still has its origional LR one fitted. Bet theres not many others will last 8 years.

Dont think its the problem with yours, or the alternator, but worth bearing in mind IF you need one in the future.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First of all try checking the little wire that goes to the solonoid on the starter.

See if the spade connector is a loose fit, if it is give it a squeeze with pliers to tighten it up

If it is the starter contacts the solonoid as suggested above, the solonoid will click but the starter wont turn

Our TD5 110 defender was doing exactly the same. Clicking, not starting sometimes - not all the time. Took it to our neighbour who's a main dealer Landrover mechanic of 30 years and without looking at it he said it was the starter not the battery. He popped a new starter in it and she's back on the button. No new battery or any other components. Thing is the new starter kicks much faster and starts it much sooner on the crank. That was 4 weeks ago and she's firing up on the button in minus 10 here and 8-12" of snow - worst snow for 25 years in Belfast. Am I glad we got her fixed when we did. :thumbup:

Before anybody fits another new starter. Just buy the kit for £6 the starters last for ever but the contacts in the solinoid wear in no time. The hardest part of the job is getting the starter off. A new starter in a couple of years will be doing the same thing. Before anybody starts praising the jap crap just remember its a japanese starter motor and fitted to alot of vehicles all doing the same thing :thumbup:

Before anybody fits another new starter. Just buy the kit for £6 the starters last for ever but the contacts in the solinoid wear in no time. The hardest part of the job is getting the starter off. A new starter in a couple of years will be doing the same thing. Before anybody starts praising the jap crap just remember its a japanese starter motor and fitted to alot of vehicles all doing the same thing :thumbup:

mine don't:001_tt2:

597658ec2a184_starter003.jpg.c2cc15d46e9e3f1739527a795f529179.jpg

No joy with the truck today!

numerous attempts at turning the starter motor.A case of close but no cigar - so the battery must be holding a charge?!

Took a look at the repair kit on Ebay and it looks easy enough to fit the replacement bits.

Just got to find the part number on the starter motor so I can order the correct kit.Can this number be seen before removing the motor so I can get it on order?Looked from above but couldn't see it so will have to dig a snow tunnel underneath to have a look!

No joy with the truck today!

numerous attempts at turning the starter motor.A case of close but no cigar - so the battery must be holding a charge?!

Took a look at the repair kit on Ebay and it looks easy enough to fit the replacement bits.

Just got to find the part number on the starter motor so I can order the correct kit.Can this number be seen before removing the motor so I can get it on order?Looked from above but couldn't see it so will have to dig a snow tunnel underneath to have a look!

I would forget the snow tunnel and just order for £6 I think all td5 starters are the same but dont quote me on that. Its harder to get the motor off than change the contacts. Good luck

Armchairarborist I think you killed that starter motor you landrover owner you :biggrin: