Hardwood firewood wanted !!!

Johny Walker

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

£75 a ton for cordwood, cheap!!? This would have to sell at between £225-£250 (if not more) a ton to make a profit after haulage, processing, delivery, wages etc. I cant see my customers paying that:thumbdown:

yes it is really isnt it , as i stated before each tree is pruned ,felled and moved by hand . with the price of oil and energy on the increase you probabley will see cord hardwood hitting these highs a year from now, we allredy sell to a costomer at that price who says'' that he will sell it out double the price'' i suppose its what people are willing to pay! sorry if this offends you egg:confused1:

£75 a ton for cordwood, cheap!!? This would have to sell at between £225-£250 (if not more) a ton to make a profit after haulage, processing, delivery, wages etc. I cant see my customers paying that:thumbdown:

I got qouted £75 a ton for green ash delivered last week, decided it wasnt worth the back ache at that price so still looking :001_cool:

Gas up 7-9% heating oil up 40ish% (supply and demand the cold snap)cordwood up 150% i cant see it in the long term imo

just out of interest simon what do you think is a honest price for the stated apple timber regarding that apple is less comon than the king of woods ash and the like? a realistic answer is appreciated!

In response to your question, Dave,

As "Genset Steve" said in a thread titled prices, cord wood road side should be £30 a ton, as vikki on here is charging.

With another £10-15 a ton for delivery, anymore than this is not worth doing - for me.

As cord is getting short in places, you may achieve £50 a ton delivered in (you could try for more).

As for the customer who buys at your prices and doubles his money, that was how i started, which was fiune at the time, paying a local farmer friend of mine £20 a month for storage and processing ten ton at a time, all logged by chainsaw, but decided to grow the business, tractor loader, processor, proper rent on a barn, insurance, wages etc, which is a whole different story.

Sorry for derailing, back to your question:

At £35 a ton, and lets say for argument £12.50 a ton delivery = £47.50 a ton, and assuming theres 25 ton on an artic, this load would be £1,187.50, which after processing I would have to sell for in excess of £3,500. That would not be easy.

And yes, before you say "a 300% markup?", theres a lot of expense and labour converting cord into ten inch logs in a customers drive way, whether its apple ash or oak.

So, IMO, Dave, £35-40 a ton, as it is less common than the "King of Fire Wood" - Ash.

Egg.