Why not sell a cube of wood? Novel idea!

Albedo

I couldnt see a problem with selling by the builders dumpy type bag, as long as there were industry standard sized bags with the solid load volume marked on perhaps by the manufacturer?

I have seen in europe that a popular method is metre long split billets banded up into cubic metre bundles and delivered that way. I quite like the idea and reckon a few of my customers would like them, cut them into whatever lengths they like.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry to risk derailing the thread - but do you have any pictures of this Mark ?

Sounds like something you could sell to your wealthier customers as modern art - cubism ?

FG

Should still be where we left it in the wood! I'll try and get some shots if I work up there next year. It was bramble city last time I went there.

As for selling it - it wasn't exactly great quality wood!

THe only way to go IMHO is to sell by the loose loaded m3.

I'm currently cracking out 10 to 15m3 per day on my jack. I therefore do not have the time or inclination to stack the logs in the back of the truck. Nor do i have time to count them in.

as regards to weighing them.....this requires a trip to the weighbridge (at a cost) or installation of on board scales.... more expense and more overhead.

most customers would not know what a ton or a m3 of logs look like anyway.

They can visualise a transit tipper load.

The body on the transit happily doubles up as the measuring device, holding 2.5m3. I invite the customer to measure the body to satisfy themselves as to quantity if they so wish. none ever take up the offer and I've yet to receive a complaint about short loading.

with regards to VJ's point about regulation, he is correct as all governments attempt to control and thereby trash any industry that is doing well for itself but has no political clout with which to defend itself.

if you are selling wood by m3 (loose or stacked) weights and measures can insist that your delivery vehicle body is officially calibrated with full and intermediate volumes (a measuring stick stuck and sealed to inside of the body.) If you sell it by the load there is naff all they can say about it.

therefore, currently, I sell by the load but give the customer an "approximate" m3 figure.

my 2p worth.

I could have written this myself mate!

The best measure is - do your customers come back for more?

:thumbup:

Having taken on board all the different views expressed , I see nothing wrong with selling by the load as long as the customer is happy. Where a volume is specified, however I believe that if its sold loose, the customer should be made aware of the final stacked volume.

There is air in the stacked volume, but less than in the loose volume. The only way to make a stacked cube free of air would be to sell a solid lump.

If people want less or more than a cube, or if they want it in imperial or by number of logs, or by some method that I have not listed, then this is just a matter of maths for each individual to work out for themselves.

My original intent was not so much to insist on a cube being the standard, but to ensure that the customer gets as close to the specified amount of wood as is possible. My measured cube was intended as an example of one way of achieving this.

In New Zealand I saw little Isuzu trucks piled high with logs, literally to the point of falling off, parked by the side of the road. There would be a sign saying $180 for this load (currently about 2.2 dollars to the pound). I have no idea of the volume of such a load but it looked liked a pretty good deal to me. Quite often its seasoned Macrocarpa by the way.

I could have written this myself mate!

The best measure is - do your customers come back for more?

:thumbup:

Time and time again:lol:

Are you located down on the marsh?

I used to live in Newchurch.

Used to drink occaisionally in the Red Lion at Snargate, the Blue Anchor in Ruckinge and the County Members at Port Lympne....happy days.

I have tried all week to achieve that nice stacked result seen in the pic which is truely a work of art. But no matter how I tip them out of my bobcat bucket they just dont fall like that. I have decided my customers are probably buying volume and btu's rather than my skills as an artist and stacker. I think stacking 500 cu a year could get time consuming and tediuos and yes customers are confused enough as it is. Whats wrong with a measured space full of loose logs ?

For 10 years now I have sold by the loose tipped cubic meter, and even have the truck bed separated into cubic meter sections. The customer sees this when I deliver to them, they then have the chance to accept or refuse the load. Job done!!!!

10 years and still growing, must have done something right

I have never quoted by the " load", always a volumetric measure.

To sell by the stacked m3 would just cost the customer more due to extra labour involved.

The job is hard enough as it is, let's not make it any worse.......... Please