dadio

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

You didn't make that cut up.

Its been used for years to Fell Heavy leaning Trees.You used the technique and then applied Tension using an external device.

Your cut is the same as this one.

Mike,

That is a good video and excellent demonstration of the GOL bore/back release cut..

That cut has been around since the 70's and I first learned it from Mark Chisholm in 2001 or 2002.

The twist I put on it was to bring the back release cut down to the level that one would flush cut a stump, and make the low cut a full 1/2 of the tree rather than just a small back strap. That is all.

That often leaves a step of 12-16" or more. I try to keep the step under 16" so the 1/2 round can be chipped vertically. With a high enough pull line, there is no problem leaving that much step on many species, as long as you are pulling with power equipment. That may have been only the fourth or fifth time I've had to cut the step, so probably not a good example. The pull line was just too low on that one to provide enough leverage. Lesson learned.

Once again I should have gone to the archives. I do have some good footage of other step cuts. I'll get them up on youtube ASAP.

I have no concerns about the accuracy of falls being effected by the step cut. I use it around valuable obstacles without hesitation. If I need to steer the cut as it is falling, then its not a good choice. That might be 1% of my falls or less.

Needing to keep the notch above the trunk flare is far more common.

Daniel, How do you feel about using that rope again after the skidsteer nearly broke it?

Daniel, How do you feel about using that rope again after the skidsteer nearly broke it?

This is a better example of the step cut.

not meaning to nitpick, you do have some good videos and some good crashing and bashing.

But i have to point this out.

In this second vid at about 1:25 you took BOTH hands off a RUNNING saw then stepped towards the end of the bar with a chain STILL spinning.

Madness :confused1::confused1:

This is a better example of the step cut.

At 3.55 you use your 'step cut' technique to fell the top out of a pine.......

if there had been a gust of wind it could've snapped the holding fibres of the step cut and blown the top onto the house before your man in the skidsteer had time to pull it over. Its a stupid and dangerous thing to be promoting.

Scot,

If you tried this technique you would see its a lot stronger than you think.. I have plenty of experience with it.. It takes a lot of pull with a high line tied to a skid steer to trip. This of course depends on species, diameter, and how far apart the bypass cuts are. Please trust that I speak from experience to say "there is no way that tree would have hit the house".. NO MATTER WHAT! and no "gust of wind" would trip it...