step cut

dadio

it is quite a clever thought out cut, advantages i can see is it wont fall till you pull it, so you can do the cut move well away, when you pull it you can pull it in direction you want, only disadvantage i can see is getting the experience of how big you want your step to be to small it will fall to big you wont be able to pull it over.

nice idea though i like it :thumbup1:

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

it is quite a clever thought out cut, advantages i can see is it wont fall till you pull it, so you can do the cut move well away, when you pull it you can pull it in direction you want, only disadvantage i can see is getting the experience of how big you want your step to be to small it will fall to big you wont be able to pull it over.

A standard felling cut would have had the same "advantages" if aided by a wedge, BUT, woudn't have the "disadvantge" of variatins and unpredictability of step cutting!

If we are to judge this proceedure on its merits of "trying different things to move the industry forward", it should be forgotten IMO.

There are many more tried and tested, reliable and predictable ways of felling a stem than this one.

It gets a:thumbdown: from me Im afraid.

A standard felling cut would have had the same "advantages" if aided by a wedge, BUT, woudn't have the "disadvantge" of variatins and unpredictability of step cutting!

If we are to judge this proceedure on its merits of "trying different things to move the industry forward", it should be forgotten IMO.

There are many more tried and tested, reliable and predictable ways of felling a stem than this one.

It gets a:thumbdown: from me Im afraid.

not if the said tree has a crown and wants to go the direction your felling it in, it falls when it falls, if your however used this method you would be able to make the cut move away, then pull it over when ready. like making a normal step cut up the tree make the cut, stays there, pull it snaps off throw it when ready. obviously there is like i said getting the knowlage of thickness of step and all that but if you had that i like it.

@ Daniel

at 2.03 you can be heard saying, 'dont break that rope'

the fundamental part of the technique didn't work did it? the skidsteer failed to break the fibres in the step cut meaning you had to return and cut them?

Surely the offset plunge cut through the hinge was pointless? all you need to do in that situation is adjust your direction of fall and if you felt you wanted to leave more wood on the tension side then all you do is leave the hinge wider at that side?

Thanks for posting though

Edited by scotspine1

Your technique seemed overcomplicated and too unpredictable to me.

You had to return to cut further.

That's a sound stem with a high line on a skid steer, its not going anywhere till you get your guy to set off.

A conventional gob, low down, by all means bore and set the hinge if you like, but just take the back cut up parallel with the grade of the ground to make the appropriate hinge if you want to leave a low stump ready for grinding.