Splitters

scbk

I'm thinking about a powered splitter.

Don't have a tractor or anything to run one off

Although a electric one would be cheaper to run (and possibly more reliable?) I think something petrol powered would be more useful

I've used a tractor mounted vertical table type splitter before which I liked, some of the petrol ones I've seen for sale look like backache unless you modify them

I can weld but don't know anything at all about hydraulics

Is it possible to run a splitter normally mounted on a tractor off a hydraulic "power pack"

As an example, would this splitter:

LS 2 10 Ton Tonne Hydraulic Log Splitter ( Heavy duty) on eBay (end time 23-Dec-10 19:19:31 GMT)

Plug straight into and work fine off this engine/pump:

VANGUARD 9HP HYDRAULIC POWERPACK ( HYDRAULIC PUMP ) on eBay (end time 04-Dec-10 14:06:49 GMT)

:confused1:

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I cant answer that question, but all of those type splitters still need you to lift the wood up onto a high-ish deck.

What size wood are you splitting? If its tree surgery by product then it could be in huge rings and a ground level splitter would be better IMO.

I've nothign but good things to say about this, although the speed of ram is not great it doesn't return all the way so its not like you a waiting for it to come all the way down each time.

I have adapted mine to one handed use without any welding or anything.

logsplitter.jpg.989c2ced8fb2d555fbd6e167e2a0c6ba.jpg

Any pump will run any ram

How well will depend on the flow the pump makes and what pressure it generates.

You need to know the flow and pressure the pump makes and the dimensions of the ram. From there you can calculate the speed the ram will make and the force it will generate.

Looking at the power pack it looks a bit on the weedy side

Andy

i have been looking at doing the same thing for a few months now and have had no luck in buying one . so this week i went to talk to a local hydraulics company to talk about making my own and to get a list of parts and a price .

buy the end of the hour long chat or so we had designed it ,found and brought a power pack and hope fully but the end of the week i would have a log splitter which wen i pull my finger out i would be able to bolt to a trailer the biggest thing i would say is you getting a log splitter to save your back so a nice big working surface and as little bending down as possiable !

have fun making one

I think something road towable would be the best, can make or modify a trailer if needed.

Although I have a 4ft wide ramp on my van so might be able to load somehting in there.

It will probably be mainly for splitting softwood up to about 2ft round

33bk, any idea on costs?