300tdi cold starting problems

Frank

Darren, when you finally get it started each time from cold, leave it running for about one minute and switch it off again. If it then starts without any probs it could be an intermittent bad connection on the glow plugs. Had that problem with my ranger last winter and ford dealer couldn't fix it so took it to local guy and thats what it was. Tightened it up and its been fine ever since.

Good luck

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But you really really dont need glow plugs on 200 or 300tdi engines. Even if you take them out the engine will still start under a foot of snow.

Mine wouldn't. It's done 200k but still goes ok when warm. One day she will get a nice rebuild like yours did tommer

The 200 tdi does not need the glow plugs, mines on 140k and spot on. The 300 however is slightly different and requires glow plugs or its harder to start like many of the new jap ones. 200 the best engine land rover ever made!! i ve added 5 litres of petrol to mine at the moment in case of diesel waxing as it waxed a bit last year, might run slightly rougher but its better than stopping since the weather only seems to be getting colder and more snowy!! the leak off rail is a classic air leak place, the small rubber connections split, just replace the pipes but air leaks are never easy to find!! good luck!

Right here is where we are at. We have gone down the fuel starvation route as it all adds up.

Starting at the back and working my way up to lift pump and fuel filter and we have fallen at the first hurdle. The fuel sedimenter that should have been attached to the chassis rail is not there??? The crud that wouldve been filtered there will be getting into the lift pump. So my plan of action is to get a fuel sedimenter and new lift pump. Will keep you all posted.