300tdi cold starting problems

Frank

the starting procedure for 300tdi disco in cold weather, ensure all electrical equipment is switched off, turn key to glow plugs, depress clutch pedal, wait a little while, cross your fingers, close your eyes and repeat in your head 'come on-come on', then gently turn the key and hope for the best.. oh and if your name's darren go fetch the battery off the chipper :thumbup:

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the starting procedure for 300tdi disco in cold weather, ensure all electrical equipment is switched off, turn key to glow plugs, depress clutch pedal, wait a little while, cross your fingers, close your eyes and repeat in your head 'come on-come on', then gently turn the key and hope for the best.. oh and if your name's darren go fetch the battery off the chipper :thumbup:

That is exactly it. Haha.

Right. We have checked plugs. It's not them. It is fuel starvation from somewhere. There was a fair amount of air in the fuel system so I need to establish where that is coming from.

Bled the air from system and she started like never before.

See again in morning I guess. Will make sure I go check a good while before littleun is due at school though.

Many thanks to Tommer. You are a star.

white smoke from a diesel is fuel starvation- you must have had a weak pump or blocked filters. The filter in the lift pump is faviourite for that one.:001_smile:

We had a new fuel pump fitted and new injectors soon after the alternator refurb. It went from starting white to starting black nad runnin a tad rich uphill. But i thought that if a diesel is running white its a sign of it running far too rich? Thats how Challenger 2 tanks get their smoke screen by dumping unburnt diesel into the exhausts.

Unburnt diesel is black. Check out this tatra truck as is reaches the top of the hill- tatras have the ability to dump shed loads of diesel into the engine for a bit more grunt.......sounds awesome too! Not sure about that with challengers- cant see for a moment how that would work- maybe they arent dumping extra fuel in, but adding something to the fuel?

I thought they had smoke cartridges plastered all over the outside?

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MwSh1v4qbIU]YouTube - Truck Trial Balve 2007 3[/ame]