300tdi cold starting problems

Frank

My 300tdi takes ages to start from cold. So much so that I have had to give up and charge battery twice.

Can anyone help?

It does eventually fire and then drives lovely after so I am assuming lift pump, injectors etc etc are ok. Heater plug lights and goes out making a click after a while as it should.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Its not uncommon for the starter motors to go lazy and not spin them over quick enough to fire. Have changed a fair few in the past due to this. Does it start ok if you give it a jump off another vehicle ?? If so this could be the problem as the extra amperage from the other vehicle helps to spin it over that extra bit quicker than it does with your one battery. Hope this helps.

how cold has it been getting in your part of the world darren? could possibly be the diesel waxing?

sorry, when I say cold starting, I mean when its been switched off for ages. Has had this problem for months but seems to be getting worse.

Dropped past -4 the other night but has been averaging about 1 degree.

Its not uncommon for the starter motors to go lazy and not spin them over quick enough to fire. Have changed a fair few in the past due to this. Does it start ok if you give it a jump off another vehicle ?? If so this could be the problem as the extra amperage from the other vehicle helps to spin it over that extra bit quicker than it does with your one battery. Hope this helps.

Unfortunately not, still takes the time to fire but just doesnt make the battery flat whilst doing it.

Next???? hahaha:001_tt2:

my 200tdi had same problem kept charging battery, after investigation realised alternator belt had loosened adjusted it and charge came back and was all ok

Just had a new alternator fitted and also got a new battery. Belt is tight as it should be but it does sound like there is a canary under the bonnet (top pulley bearing maybe)

Clean up the earths and also make sure your starter motor bolts are tight to the flywheel housing so it earths well.

Check there is voltage to the glow plugs and if necessary test them.

If you have a heat gun or even the wife/etc hair dryer or some lit newspaper etc and a second person available, disconnect the intake pipe some ware after the air filter (appropriate for the heat type your using) and blow/waft/position heat so on starting warm air gets sucked in which will drastically aid starting in the cold.

Just had a new alternator fitted and also got a new battery. Belt is tight as it should be but it does sound like there is a canary under the bonnet (top pulley bearing maybe)

I've had trouble starting the Transit this morning, same thing, singing like a bird for the last week. Stops after a few minutes though.

Darren

300Tdi's are excellent starters and start even without heater plugs

If you have a slightly tired engine then heat will be needed

First of all check the heater plugs are working then check that they get the full amperage of juice

You can have voltage getting to the plugs but if theres a dodgey relay you may not get the ampage you need.

Best way is to connect a charged battery directly to the heater plugs for 10 seconds then get someone to crank it whilst still holding the connection onto the plugs, this will illiminate any faulty relays etc

If the plugs are fine and the current is flowing to them then I'd start on the fuel side of things, one thing landys are bad for is people pee'ing about with the injector pumps trying to get more power

First of all undo the fuel supply to the injector pump and check fuel is being supplied "under pressure" if it is then I'd whip off the injector pump and stick it in for calibration.

Ring us if you need :thumbup1: