Have you got any logs left ??

Dave Martin

Joy, sounds like a new customer i had a couple of months back.

Asked for ash specifically, so as its the only wood we keep seperate i took him a bag.

Three days later he rang up and said he wanted "chuky logs", these were much smaller than he had before and insisted mine "were over the top" and said "they've been hanging around a long time, almost starting to go rotten".

Turns out he used to buy ash from a competitor as it was "the only wood he had that would burn"

Doesnt take a rocket scientist to figure the other guy sells wet, but this customer wouldnt have any of it, instead told me he wouldnt be using me again as my logs were "past it"

One bad egg for me, but only one Ive had.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Got plenty of seasoned left but with a person not too far away selling ash and oak for £120for 3 cube(green) who knows what will happen long term.

On the plus side when stacking at a local pub the folk coming out thought ours was much better than what they had just got, so gave out some cards hopefully to new customers.:thumbup1:

w and then talk of trading standards - he didnt like it when i said bring it on we have nothing to hide

In another life I was a petrol retailer .... built owned and operated petrol stations .... when customers complained about shortfalls in product it was so nice to see their faces when I said that all pumps were sealed by weights and measures and they would need to complain to weights and measures who would then break their seals to do the test as it would be illegal for me to tamper with them. It was also very nice to be Head Honcho ... Number One .. The Main Man .. Numero Uno .. so when you encounter those pathetic little worms that bleat and moan about everything and say `Iwant to speak to the manager` and just like the famous Fawlty Towers sketch you say `I am the owner` and that does not compute in their thick little skulls you can just turn around and say that the buck stops here go away and dont come back :thumbup:

In another life I was a petrol retailer .... built owned and operated petrol stations .... when customers complained about shortfalls in product it was so nice to see their faces when I said that all pumps were sealed by weights and measures and they would need to complain to weights and measures who would then break their seals to do the test as it would be illegal for me to tamper with them. It was also very nice to be Head Honcho ... Number One .. The Main Man .. Numero Uno .. so when you encounter those pathetic little worms that bleat and moan about everything and say `Iwant to speak to the manager` and just like the famous Fawlty Towers sketch you say `I am the owner` and that does not compute in their thick little skulls you can just turn around and say that the buck stops here go away and dont come back :thumbup:

thanks dave, should have heard the alarm bells ringing when he wanted a discount for spotting a spelling error, and then would pay for the load prompt cheque c.o.d - which in my book is not c.o.d. upon us deliverying an extra 10% ontop off the 3m3 he had ordered - as a "sweetener" - i said we dont do discounts or sweeteners - but as a goodwill gesture would fit in that night and give him 3 bags of sticks - shouldnt have bothered

he came out and stood over the lads chucking it back on the truck and didnt like it when they were jovial and informed him that load was going straight to stafford for a immediate drop off, he was really wanting free logs and discounts off ontop - no chance - i wont be delivering to him again

and to threaten trading standards, when we delivered the load in the cubing metre bags to show he wasnt getting a short fall - he even suggested some of the load wasnt beech - when my husband showed him it was beech without the bark on and by the way it was from a beech woodland and we had the FSC accreditation number from the FC where it had come from!

i wouldnt mind - but it was a good load and we're genuine people, trying to sell quality products, i would welcome trading standards with open arms as all our quality checks and procedures are up to date and correct - bring it on!

i wouldnt mind - but it was a good load and we're genuine people, trying to sell quality products, i would welcome trading standards with open arms as all our quality checks and procedures are up to date and correct - bring it on!

I was discussing with someone a couple of weeks ago about the palaver that some MEN go to over buying some firewood. They will phone and ask numerous questions and then weeks later still not have made a purchase from anyone. I think it all stems back to the hunter gatherer thing and as they are not chopping and gathering the wood themselves they replace this with being pedantict about buying wood.

I was discussing with someone a couple of weeks ago about the palaver that some MEN go to over buying some firewood. They will phone and ask numerous questions and then weeks later still not have made a purchase from anyone. I think it all stems back to the hunter gatherer thing and as they are not chopping and gathering the wood themselves they replace this with being pedantict about buying wood.

I thought it was just my customers that do this. 3rd email tonight for further information just for 1 cubic mtr.

This thread makes typical reading for the log business. Our customers come and go but there is a band of loyal people who always come back for more year after year. A delivery recently was rejected because the ladies fire had a 6" hearth and my logs were 12"! We took them back and cut them in half and returned an hour later. Our reward was no coffee, a cheque and an expectation to stack all the small logs neatly in her garage.

Another customer visited to look at our logs and decided that the best logs were the fragrant ones. We explained that they were conifer logs but it made no difference. We now have a regular delivery of Leylandii logs at premium prices - amazing! If anyone kicks off we collect and refund immediately - it's there loss even if they are trying it on which makes it all the more satisfying.