dmm karabiners

Ben Saxton

they Jam, this one's 3 days old?

Its not three days old, unless you actually picked it up from DMM 3 days ago. Biners leave the factory with a small amount of grease in the gate to keep them in good nick while they are sat around in a warehouse or shop waiting to be bought. The minute they go into service in tree work the grease picks up sawdust, I can see it inside the gate in your photo.

Are you really so ignorant of climbing techniques that you were happily climbing on biners that didnt close?

Did you not detect any problems while carrying out your pre-climb kit check, or your weekly inspection of which you keep a written record? Both of these are as integral to LOLER as the 6 monthly inspection, and are in my opinion more important for your safety than the thorough examination at 6 months.

You can't expect items of kit like biners to go out in muddy dusty wet conditions and function perfectly with no maintenance, and then pass an examination.

More fool you for not checking your kit and not looking after your kit, after all it is your neck on the line.

Good luck with DMM, in my experience they produce a high quality product, but if your biners are genuinely substandard then I am sure they will replace them.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As Peter said.

Surely you should be picking up gate problems at the pre-use check you perform before each and every use.

When I train for CS'38' I cover gates in great detail. This is because 'self lockers' are utter rubbish. Current guidance is that you should let them lock, and then check they are locked-each and every time the gate closes. This is madness. Self lockers were introduced because we were not to be trusted to do up our screwgates. But we can be trusted to perform a check incase the infallable gate does fail.

And now you get loads of bish about 4-ways being better (yeah, better at failing even more because they are even more complicated). [rant rant rant]

Maybe we should all go back to screwgates and rely on ourselves and a few darwinian principles.

Anyway. You should have been trained to do an adequate test, and this should have also been covered in your assessment. Don't rely on others such as LOLER inspectors to do your checks (or your maintenance- he is inspecting as he finds it, not providing a cleaning and lubrication service).

All that aside, use PETZL, as they seem to know what works in the real world.

What was it called again?:001_tongue:

Actually I have some of that that I use it for hedge trimmer blades, I thought it was just a lube not a cleaner.

Another good use for it now though thanks.:thumbup1:

Im not sure they will advertise it as a specific cleaner, but i have found if you inject the spray with the nozzle into the sheath the amount of crud that comes out is amazing.

I use it as a more regular maintenance and it does work, but its also worth doing a full "wash" in detergent and hot water perhaps every 6-12 months.

All that aside, use PETZL, as they seem to know what works in the real world.

i second that, all my petzl stuff seems superior to everything else, the carabiners just feel better in a way. i check everything as much as i can, i have some of the DMM sentinel carabiners, bought two to use purely on my saw strop, now i just use one on the end and clip the ring onto a petzl caritool. dont use them for climbing though. the petzl ones i find clean easier.

Its not three days old, unless you actually picked it up from DMM 3 days ago. Biners leave the factory with a small amount of grease in the gate to keep them in good nick while they are sat around in a warehouse or shop waiting to be bought. The minute they go into service in tree work the grease picks up sawdust, I can see it inside the gate in your photo.

Are you really so ignorant of climbing techniques that you were happily climbing on biners that didnt close?

Did you not detect any problems while carrying out your pre-climb kit check, or your weekly inspection of which you keep a written record? Both of these are as integral to LOLER as the 6 monthly inspection, and are in my opinion more important for your safety than the thorough examination at 6 months.

You can't expect items of kit like biners to go out in muddy dusty wet conditions and function perfectly with no maintenance, and then pass an examination.

More fool you for not checking your kit and not looking after your kit, after all it is your neck on the line.

Good luck with DMM, in my experience they produce a high quality product, but if your biners are genuinely substandard then I am sure they will replace them.

I do look after my kit and it seems more of a defect with the biners than how i've looked after them as there all pretty much new, and i was asking if anyone else had had problems with them thats all. I'll sort it tomorrow.