melvyn

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:thumbup1:

I saw a lecture with Ray Mears and even had a little chat with him:thumbup:

I like the idea of roughing it but I just cant stand the cold either :blushing:

I too went to an evening with Ray Mears. He has a real passion for his subject. His approach goes beyond the basics of lighting fires and making shelters. It also takes in the history and people behind the subject

I would rank him alongside Les Hiddins the Bush Tucker Man ( Les Hiddins - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia ), and Lofty Wiseman.

Bear Grylls is showbusiness not survival.

I too went to an evening with Ray Mears. He has a real passion for his subject. His approach goes beyond the basics of lighting fires and making shelters. It also takes in the history and people behind the subject

I would rank him alongside Les Hiddins the Bush Tucker Man ( Les Hiddins - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia ), and Lofty Wiseman.

Bear Grylls is showbusiness not survival.

Lofty ran the demotions and sabotage corse my dad did in the army. His SAS handbook was my bible when I was a boy.

Bear is pretty cool he did fly over everest with only a paramotor!

I'm no Bear Mears lol, but I can grow veg, longline fish, set nets and crab pots, set snares, shoot reasonably well, cook, and gather a bit of bush tucker, as a kid I watched my old Dad and Grandfather kill and butcher a pig, the memory stuck, and I could easy do it myself.

My only down fall is DIY I could knock up a good meal, but my dwelling might not be up to much lol

Ray is the real deal!!:thumbup1: and any one who can get a chubby as Ray from living of the land must know what he's doing!!:thumbup:

Nothing to do with his love of Macdonalds then?!

Bear's shows are for the camera and the viewer, neither him nor Ray are whiter than white on the hotel front. Bear was 21reg, Lofty was 22reg and the Godfather of survival books in the UK.

Ray is awesome at teaching lost methods of survival.

Horses for courses really.

Both are entertaining to watch, however I can't really remember learning anything watching BG, as others have said he is a bit " watch me jump into this raging river and climb this cliff etc" without much skill involved.

For me enjoying the outdoors is not about eating grubs and roadkil,l its about travelling light and getting to fish in places where you can not see another soul all day. then cooking your catch over a nice little fire whilst enjoying a wee dram ( whisky takes up much less space than beer and gives more bang for your buck).

I have a lightweight hammock and tarp to sleep under, if you like camping get a hammock. all those cold uncomfortable nights spent sleeping on the floor will be a distant memory, they are well comfy:thumbup:

Shopping with the missu,s lads. thought afghan was bad but she takes the biscut. Wonder how bear would stand up to his challenges if the wife was on her bad week standing behind him nagging away lol

:001_tt2:get outatown!, You arn't really shopping with the missu's, you are messing about on your phone with her while she shops. To go shopping properly, you have to give 100% attention and answer the trick questions properly. Strewth, you will be sloping off to the pub next......:001_tt2:

• 1 month later...

Here is a Picture of the Buss that the idiot Starved to death in.Yes you can drive to it,not its not that remote.

What Christopher McCandless did was brave, to give all your money to charity, cut up all your plastic, destroy your identity and venture out into the world totally alone has to be commendable to anyone who values real freedom. Yes, he was selfish to his family, but his parents were selfish to him as he grew up and his sister didn't need to be told as she understood what he was doing. Yes he was extremely naive when he walked into the Alaskan wilderness without a map or any real knowledge of the terrain..........

but the guy had spirit, the kind of spirit that this messed up society wants to crush into nothing. He was an idealistic dreamer, and yes he died of starvation on that bus but at least he had the balls to do something out of the ordinary with his life unlike 99% of the population. In the end he understood what he'd done and was at peace with his decisions.....

christopher_mccandless_alex_supertramp.jpg.57459ba3dccc898e2078e6e0edd811b8.jpg

but the guy had spirit, the kind of spirit that this messed up society wants to crush into nothing.........

+1

For my 50th birthday I trekked from Nepal to Tibet (got held up by Maoist rebels) did the sacred pilgrimage around Mount Kailash (32 miles round all above 4000m) then up to advanced base camp on Everest (6500) metres.