Heres one for ya...

Hodge

Hi there this is the way I would look at it if I was selling logs or any service for me is my tree and garden care company .

The customer has a choice of so many places to get there logs ,trees and gardens sorted . my service has to be better and different to the rest as I want my service or product to stand out amounst the rest and want the customer to choose my service over the others and want my new customer to come back to me for repeat business and tell there friends.

If it were logs I was doing I would offer to help them stack them give a bit of time to for a little chat each time so they get to know me better and warm to me so then they want me and my logs again rather then them thinking sod this I will go else where as did not like that chap very much .

. looking at this this way it changes things . I allways go over and above and bend over backwards for all of customers it may cost me a little time and sometimes patients but it pays me/ you big time in the long term plan of it all as if they like you and what you offer they will be back again and again and there freinds to.

Sometimes its not just the product we are selling that sells it self it can be you as a person the customer is paying for if they like the person behind the product they usually buy your product.

Just my humble opinion all the best

Littetree:thumbup:

:congrats::thumbup:

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

same as most of you i guess, the elderly, the frail etc, i will stack within reason, for a cuppa, an some banter, i only deliver evenings or w-ends, as for the lazy consumer that is capable of helping, £20 per delivery to stack, its not being unreasonable, i find the elderly folk appreciate your time & will talk about your good service, the lazy expect you everything for nothing!!!, apoligies if i sound like your grandparents!!!!!!!!!!!

I have always considered my unique selling point my tipper. If I stacked all my loads on a Saturday I would deliver 4-5 but tipping I get 8 double loads out. I have worked my costs out based on this. Why would I give up £3-£400 turnover to stack logs. We do have a few frail customers who we stack for free. I think if you sit in an office block and drive a new range rover it keeps you in touch with reality and helps build confidence in a team enviroment. :lol:

Ahh, but do you price accordingly?

i quote a price for a load (to include delivery and stacking)

i don't have a tipping trailer - so have to unload by hand anyway, so putting them in the log shed for the customer is no big deal really - besides many of my regulars help with the unloading - as they like to have a chat and a catch up - as i have been delivering to them for quite a few years

if i didn't want to make a delivery for any reason - like if somebody was taking the mick (by not wanting to pay the full price or having an unreasonable site to stack the logs etc) - i would just suggest to them that they look elsewhere for their logs in future

many years ago I took an old ded elm down in bowness,a guy who owned a jewellry shop nearby wanted some branches to hang jewellry off in his window."I will see you right" he says.

so I cut him some nice bits,carry it over to his shop and he gave me fifty pence!!Could not believe it.

many years ago I took an old ded elm down in bowness,a guy who owned a jewellry shop nearby wanted some branches to hang jewellry off in his window."I will see you right" he says.

so I cut him some nice bits,carry it over to his shop and he gave me fifty pence!!Could not believe it.

hope you didn"t spend it all at once, hope you had enough for the bus ride home and a bag of chips, some people live in the dark ages

a couple of years ago i was asked to deliver a load of firewood to an address some 30 miles away, they were happy to pay delivery so i arrived in the dark to find a couple waiting with wheelbarrows ready to take straight into the front room, slightly bemused i helped them wheel it inside where they stacked it all round the room leaving the gap between the fire and the telly, they were really nice people and had two motorbikes in the kitchen, my woman gives me grief if theres one chainsaw in the kitchen:001_smile:

went away last friday for a weekend of family time.

got a call thursday night "can you drop me some logs off this weekend, we've run out"

as it was a new customer i agreed to deliver friday morning (as i was away for the weekend), the address was literally 300 yds from our yard so just nipped em down on the teleporter.

mahoosive house, his n hers rangeys on the drive.

put the crate virtually up to the shed ( one cube softwood £60)

knocks on the door.

"your logs are here, if its ok, i'll pick the crate up on monday"

"no problem" says the customer, "i'll pay you then..." :confused1:

"sorry, but i did say its CASH on delivery"

"we haven't got enough cash in the house"

"ok a cheque will do then, thank you."

"we haven't got a cheque book"

"i'll bring the logs back when you've got either" was all i could think to say

"if you put the logs in the shed, i'll nip to the cash machine (about 20 mins away)

:sneaky2: losing my rag a little now..

"i'm not being funny buddy, but i've got the wife, and two excited kids sat at home waiting for me to get back, i told you i could do the logs first thing as we're going away for the weekend, i haven't got time to stack your logs, get home, showered, and changed.

if you want the logs, fine, if not, i'll be off"

the customer then starts to get shirty

"if you want the £60 you'll stack em for me"

:lol:

"wrong statement buddy"

took the logs back. parked the 'porter up. went away

the family have just moved into the village. already upset me, the local garage, the nicest shop keeper you'll ever meet, and the landlord of the only pub for miles.........

don't think they'll stay :001_tt2: