Who's on the ground

Arbre

True - my safety is the reason I want to have a competant person on the ground, but I want to find something to show the boss what must be in place rather than advisory group guidance - or is that in reality all there is?

The only thing I think would change his mind if he knew he'd be liable for not providing suitable staff, then he'd make sure I'd get a descent guy to work with.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As a freelance tree-whore myself, I can sympathise with you mate!. From what you've said there are 2 issues here;

1/ working without aerial rescue cover = it happens from time to time, its not something I'm happy with (and its not legal and on top of that, your insurance goes out of the window). Its your call, if its the only work you can get, then apply a bit of 'aerial rescue avoidance' at the very least. This fella is making money out of your climbing work, he should provide you with someone who can get you out of a tree if the brown stuff hits the fan, not stand there and watch you bleed out....

2/ working up a tree on your own = that is a BIG no, no!. I would get out of the tree and do some other work on the ground (raking up, blowing, drinking tea...).

As a freelancer, you need to pick who you work for carefully...have a word with your boss, let him know what your worried about..if he doesn't resolve it...move on!

Er, how about the Health and Safety at Work Act 1974 and the Risk Assessment (Management of Health and Safety at Work) Regulations 1999?

Your boss MUST undertake a written risk assessment of tree climbing activities which should base its recommendations and control measures on industry guidelines (such as the AFAG). Ask to see it.

When he tells you that he doesn't need one or hasn't got one - tell him he's an idiot.

Er, how about the Health and Safety at Work Act 1974 and the Risk Assessment (Management of Health and Safety at Work) Regulations 1999?

Your boss MUST undertake a written risk assessment of tree climbing activities which should base its recommendations and control measures on industry guidelines (such as the AFAG). Ask to see it.

When he tells you that he doesn't need one or hasn't got one - tell him he's an idiot.

If he has less than 5 workers, he can do a verbal RA.

If he agrees to do a verbal RA ask how you are to be rescued if something goes wrong, when he can't give you an acceptable means of rescue he is in breach of his "duty of care" over you. And the work cannot continue, without him being in breach of the above Act, quoted by Tony.

Thanks for the reminder Huck!

3. - (6) Where the employer employs five or more employees, he shall record—

(a)the significant findings of the assessment; and.

(b)any group of his employees identified by it as being especially at risk.

I don't really want to go over old ground here on a Sunday morning but I've often wondered how you prove you've undertaken and communicated a verbal RA (and prove it covered the right areas)?