pain relief

elicokiz

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I take back what I said about painkillers not killing pain with me, my back went into spasm when I picked my dog up once and after falling to the floor I was stuck in a press-up position until I managed to call my mate to come and pick me up off the floor. Got prescribed vallies for that and back was soon out of spasm. Not really a painkiller thinking about it, muscle relaxant innit, but it definitely killed the pain.

its the only thing that touches my neck problem

Edited by Steve Bullman

If you have problems with the muscle going into spasm I can highly recommend trying electro acupuncture. This is similar to normal acupuncture but an electrical impulse charge tenses up the muscles and then releases them. Eventually it stops the muscle from going into spasm. Sounds grusome but it's a whole lot better than pumping drugs into your body which only mask the pain rather than curing the problem. Another way to do it if you want to go down the drug path is a muscle relaxant. This helps by relaxing the muscle enough that the tension goes out of the muscle meaning it won't spasm. It also means a day curled up on the couch or in bed because it acts on all the muscles...obviously. I also agree with Dan76. I've just started pilates along with physio after the quacks found that my vertabrae were compressed to the point of almost fusing in several places leading to chronic pins and needles and dead arms during the night. This along with a shoulder muscle that doesn't operate properly...... so the quack decided to try pilates for me rather than operating. So far the back is improving along with the pins and needles but we wait and see with the shoulder. I can also strongly recommend against the chiropractor. It's usually alright for a day or two but can come back even worse after that meaning ongoing visits to have your back snapped and ongoing expenses associated with the visits.

I am about start at Merrist Wood next week i am 27 and worried about stuff like this.

I am in good shape but worried my body might not be up to the task.

How old are you guys who are having what sould like like frequent back and neck problems.

43 years young... and I can still run rings aroung you young uns:001_tt2:

as has been said already PREVENTION is the best way.

Swimming is even better then a massage for getting aches and knotts out of a screwed back or neck. (although massage is often more fun :001_cool: )

If you're a bit too late on the prevention malarky then try a vibrogym / vibration plate. They aren't an exercise fad. I have seen them turn around several backs in a terrible way (primarily my wifes - probably saved my marriage).

What others have said about stretching pre and post work is important as can regular yoga / pilates.

As for pain relief, you can mix paracetamol and ibuprofen or paracetemol and asprin since they are from separate 'families' and don't interact. (my sis is a doctor - it's good advice) and it's a good non prescription approach. On prescription you can get 24hr release one tablet ibuprofen which dose you up well and good for a days work.

Good luck :biggrin: