Whats Wrong With the Current System.

Arbocop

What do you think of the current vocational training system for arb and forestry  

25 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the current vocational training system for arb and forestry

• The Curent vocational system is ok and serves the industry
    • We rae Failed by the current system as it has little progression
    • we are failed by the current system as people do not understand its contant
    • too much is about the ticket and no enough about the persons individual ability

I think NPTC is a good start , most employers won't give you a lookin without the basic tickets. Maybe there to expensive who knows. It's also finding a decent employer who will point you in the right direction, not just to do it yourself. Knowledge should be shared, it's no use to you when your dead. It's only my opinion.:biggthumpup:

£700 per course + assesment costs , how many courses are there? a mate told me to train a bloke to AA contractor scheme standard from start to finish with wages costs over 16k

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

wow

thanks all for contributing, i have not been keeping an eye on it as i left for the trade faire last thursday and just had my first day back at home after spending some time in the west doing wild things with winches......

having read through there is a degree of concenus availible about certian thing, and i will take al lof the above points to the AFAG meeting.

again thanks, and to all that i met at trade fair and the £T challange hope to see you next year

cheers

Have worked along side the NPTC for a few years now, not mentioning any names but there is a thread of unfair play that runs deep through industry. Trainers and assessors are communicating before candidates assessments and many training providers have targets to meet. Without ironing this out the Industry will still continue to provide unsafe workers

Have to agree with that, Vertical Limit, in the past I have known some companies have the tickets "rubberstamped" regardless of the skill of the trainee. Hopefully this practise has been done away with as it cheapens the worth of the ticket, and in unfair for those who have to work hard to pass with a "straight" system.

I teach the NPTC CS units and this has been an interesting discussion - perhaps I may be allowed to add my viewpoint?

I see the NPTC certification as a starting point for further education - they show the employer that you are competent, not proficient, not able to work at industry speed or be an expert; but just have the ability to carry out the work safely.

I noticed that NPTC are to make some changes to the system - with CS30 perhaps being valid for a period of time (12 months / 36 months).

However, we have a slightly odd system where LANTRA is ITA (integrated trainer / assessor) which is surely not good for the industry (vested interest in passing students) and is only valid for a period of time - or NPTC which at least is assessed by an external assessor, with the resulting ticket lasting a lifetime.

Perhaps we should integrate these two systems - ensure candidates are assessed by an INDEPENDANT assessor (not someone who works for the same business, or has other business connections), with the resultant accreditation limited to 3 years.

It's impossible to turn out a proficient, knowledgable student in just a few days training - CS31 is a great example of that, it's a real struggle to get through all the material and get the practice in within the 4 days of tuition.

On the other hand, courses such as the National Certificate / National Diploma do try to provide a background level of knowledge tallied up with the practical skills required - and I think the RFS Level 2 Certificate is a good example of this.

There can never be a one size fits all treatment, but on balance I do feel that maybe all foresters / arborists should be required to gain a certain minimum level of qualification then be required to record a set number of hours of CPD (continuous personal development) as well to maintain their membership.

David.

If we all agree that NPTC is only a starting point, what is the point of making them only valid for a period of time ?

Because everyone has to start somewhere and making them valid for a set time-period is a good way to ensure that everyone receives updates on a regular basis.

Because everyone has to start somewhere and making them valid for a set time-period is a good way to ensure that everyone receives updates on a regular basis.

so what is it "starting point" or "an update" :dontknow:

Or are we really talking about making sure the assessors get a "regular income"??????????

so what is it "starting point" or "an update" :dontknow:

Or are we really talking about making sure the assessors get a "regular income"??????????

It's pretty much what should happen at the moment - the starting point for those entering the industry should be to gain the relevant qualifications required by industry - in our case it tends to be the NPTC CS series.

Once you've gained your CS units, NPTC recommend that you attend regular update sessions throughout your working career. The only change that I am suggesting is that instead of these being on a rather ad-hoc basis, they should be formalised and perhaps a re-assessment should be done.

You can't have it both ways - have the training provided, assessments carried out, but then moan about having to pay for assessors and training. :confused1: