Whats Wrong With the Current System.

Arbocop

What do you think of the current vocational training system for arb and forestry  

25 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the current vocational training system for arb and forestry

• The Curent vocational system is ok and serves the industry
    • We rae Failed by the current system as it has little progression
    • we are failed by the current system as people do not understand its contant
    • too much is about the ticket and no enough about the persons individual ability

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sparsholt offers a keen price add a couple of hundred for these parts, thats where I get my £800, don't forget to add wages, and MY loss of earnings ie non productive employe for a week, anyway lets say you have 6 peeps on a course thats £900 a day not bad for 1 tutor and not a lot else! expensive wouldn't you agree? some of the training providers around here don't even provide a decent site/trees to fell, one chap employed by myself cut his teeth on felling blackthorn! I was disgusted to say the least

I'll tell you one thing I don't know how much you guys think us contractors charge, but rarely do we get £900 per day for 3 men, lorry and chipper, climbing gear, insurance , quals etc etc some of the lads on here struggle to get £300 a day for 2 men, chipper and transit..

So to answer your question ''what does the cost relate too'' i'd say quite a bit!

Lee, thanks for the reply - you make a valid point, but we would only ever have 4 people on a course for health & safety reasons. Still, it's true that it's nearly £600 a day, but we too have insurance, equipment, LOLER, premises, transport and as our site is Forestry Commission we also have to pay for the standing timber (and no, we don't get any concessionary rates!).

whats wrong with a course that lasts two years [2-3 days a week] ticket/tickets at the end and priced reasonably?

You could check out the RFS Level 2 Certificate - that consists of a day release covering the theory stuff. An exam consisting of four (? - can't remember of the top of my head) papers is then taken and passing these gives a Level 2 qualification. However, to gain the RFS accreditation the participant will need to also successfully complete a number of NPTC assessments (a list is given and the incumbent has to choose a number of them from the list). Then theory result and the NPTC certificates are then sent to the RFS for the award.

The natural progression from this is the well respected RFS Professional Diploma. In fact, it's a good system - the student works in the industry, studies for a day and takes the industry accepted(!?) tests and gains experience and a recognised qualification.

We're looking to offer this at the college starting September.

Hi Kev,

As a tree company owner it is one of cost,cost and more cost as employees never seem to want to fund the trainning even when it is there ticket. The course and assement the time off with wages paid the loss of earnings while staff member wis away I could go on and then afterall this and three or four course down the line and £1000s spent they off down the road for an extra £10 a day because they have the tickets you have paid for.

So a grant system would be an idea not sure who would cover it but a goverment system would be a step forward.

You know what i do Kev with your advice a couple of years ago with the colective agreement.(Ask Kev)

My main beef however is that more inportance has been put on having nptc etc and not being qualified.

PS; can your next text be a pleasent one!!!!!!!!!!!!

Regards Kev Watt

So a grant system would be an idea not sure who would cover it but a goverment system would be a step forward.

I'm wondering (because I'm not entirely sure on this) if this is where the governments Train To Gain might come in useful for employers - essentially they fund training for an employee up to [their first] Level 2 qualification.

Nothing at all, and they already exist, dont they?

Yes they do! but aren't we all led to believe that unless we have NPTC certs we aren't properly/fully qualified? I was told by the HSE that as long as my subbies and emplyes had training for the work they do it doesn't matter if its is NPTC, NVQ, City and Guilds phase 2 arboriculture or whatever, so why so much emphasis on NPTC?

Just to throw a spanner in the works imo nobody should attempt to put a saw to a tree unless they have formal quals in tree bioligy etc

:001_tt1: ha ha ha ha that got you all going.....:001_tongue: