Whats Wrong With the Current System.

Arbocop

What do you think of the current vocational training system for arb and forestry  

25 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the current vocational training system for arb and forestry

• The Curent vocational system is ok and serves the industry
    • We rae Failed by the current system as it has little progression
    • we are failed by the current system as people do not understand its contant
    • too much is about the ticket and no enough about the persons individual ability

i am also an assessor and do re assess candidates that have been sent on refreshers and am always supprised how little they remember and how many bad habits they have and not unknown for them to fail

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't WANT either.

:001_cool:

@bob: I know what you mean - it constantly amazes me after teaching someone CS30, when they come back for CS31 and need to maintain the saw, they start doing things that I never taught them / not doing things that I did teach them!

I've also had students that have been using chainsaws for years and years, but have failed an assessment due to poor saw handling (chain brake usage and so on). I really do think that refreshers are needed and should be formalised.

Yes I know what your saying, I have seen people who don't feed the wheel, sit at the lights without their handbrake on, etc, its terrible, the sooner they bring in retests the better!!!!!!!!!!!!

:dito:

Re freshers are not aimed at teaching anything new...money for old rope fellas!!

But they are an opportunity to get yourself out of bad habits !

In your opinion !, but who made you and other assessor's "god" and said your way is the best way ?

If I've been doing it my way for 12+ years without incident, what gives any one the right to say its "bad"?

OK telling employers how young worker have to do the job is one thing, the employer has a duty of care over them, but I am self employed so who's business is it if I put myself at risk ? and if it is someone else's business why is smoking legal ?

In your opinion !, but who made you and other assessor's "god" and said your way is the best way ?

If I've been doing it my way for 12+ years without incident, what gives any one the right to say its "bad"?

I never said that "my" way, was the best way - I'm just following what is currently thought of as industry standard best practice - that's all. And that's surely what should be taught - the latest in best practice.

Perhaps the way you carry out your work is safer, or better, in some way than is currently taught - if it is, then there should be a way that you could feed that back in to the system for wider discussion and possible inclusion in to 'best practice'? - Just a thought.