Whats Wrong With the Current System.

Arbocop

What do you think of the current vocational training system for arb and forestry  

25 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the current vocational training system for arb and forestry

• The Curent vocational system is ok and serves the industry
    • We rae Failed by the current system as it has little progression
    • we are failed by the current system as people do not understand its contant
    • too much is about the ticket and no enough about the persons individual ability

[skyhuck] - In my previous post, the point was made that refreshers did not have to be via a training provider - just some way of getting the latest thinking out to everyone to ensure safe working practices, that was all. Read the whole paragraph next time instead of taking just the bit out that suits your argument.

I did read it all!!!!!!!!!

I "quoted" the potion I was referring to, any one reading my post would have already read your's, so I fail to see the problem:confused1:

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

quite frankly what ever system is in place the end result will be the same, the no. of accidents will remain the same. there is a dedication required to meet any high standard, from both employers and employees. i personally feel that the nptc route is fine. the oppertunity to furthur development is already there, with refresher courses and/or further training, should refresher courses be mandatory? yes. otherwise the nptc certification is worthless. What i would like to see is the way that refresher courses are taylord, there will always be a need to refresh certain skill areas, however this is the ideal oppertunity to introduce new skills/ideas/ techniques etc. rather than covering the same old ground, those companies that pay no attention will eventually get left behind as the rest of the industry strives to move forward. as i said at the begining, unless there is an interest or a dedication to the industry from candidates it just a waste of time, just like sharpening a chain if there not bothered that its done right it will never be sharpened properly.

I think you've made a valid point there 3dogs - refresher training should be mandatory, but if possible tailored to suit the company / individual.

So, how do those of you running businesses feel about National Vocational Qualifications (NVQs) or the Modern Apprenticeship scheme? What about the Train To Gain scheme? Do you have the relevant information about these schemes / would you like to know more / do you feel that they are a way forward?

:confused1:Why should I be made to change the way I work, what else is going to change? the way a tree grows? or what it's made from?

Just be honest its to keep you guys in work:thumbdown:

Other industry's may need to refresh as the things they work on change, ie, plumbers working on new boilers etc, I don't see trees changing any time soon.:sneaky2:

I was thinking exactly the same thing...

I think you've made a valid point there 3dogs - refresher training should be mandatory, but if possible tailored to suit the company / individual.

So, how do those of you running businesses feel about National Vocational Qualifications (NVQs) or the Modern Apprenticeship scheme? What about the Train To Gain scheme? Do you have the relevant information about these schemes / would you like to know more / do you feel that they are a way forward?

modern apprenticeship schemes work fine provided that the employers are prepared to give alot and take little my experience with these schemes are that most employers will use the scheme to get cheap labour. i know many tree surgeons that pay there lads next to nowt, but then rave on about what good lads they are. too many companies out there are too consumed by the thought of making money rather than taking the industry forward. there are a few minorities out there that care about the industry, these are the ones that bring new lads/lasses forward and help imprvove the standard, there will always be those that creep behind and skim of the cream.

I was thinking exactly the same thing...

maybe im missing the point? but surely its about taking the industry forward. what are you scared of?

the recent fun climbing get together has got to be the best example i can use, looking at different technices, shareing new ideas has got to be a good thing. i certanly whet away having learnt alot, ive tryed different things, some ive binned, some ive stuck with. if this type of event could be classed as a refresher, i wonder whether as many people would frown at the idea?

the point of this thread is to come up with ideas to improve the currunt system for everyone

Refresher courses! further industry advancement!! etc etc etc BS! what we need to do is get out there and get earning a proper wage! we need to raise the industry profile! we aren't unskilled labourers! stuff the extra traning and inflating of egos!

IMO all this rubbish about the NPTC overhaul etc etc is all about putting more money into trainers and NPTC/LANTRA/CITY&GUILDS/ BLAH BLAH BLAH'S pockets, imo there interest is the training industry and not a lot else, and by coming on here and spouting this that and the other, all they are doing is trying to pull the wool over our eyes!

Will someone EXPLAIN to me why NPTC courses are so expensive ''compared'' to other trade courses? do you trainers think its acceptable charging the best part of £800 on average to train a person to use nothing more than a chainsaw with a poxy 15'' bar? for the life of me I can't see how NPTC/LANTRA/C&G can warrent such a price!

If they had the industries best interests at heart, we would train tree workers the way other trades do, and at a similar costing! other trades pay nowhere near what we pay for training courses!