Tree Planting/Industry Standards/Educating the Public & Arborists in general!!

RobArb

Ok this may turn out to be a long winded post about nothing in particular as my head is all jumbled up with thoughts and ideas and opinions... In writing this I do NOT intend to upset or anyone or put peoples noses out of joint as i'm just trying to understand a few things, and sometimes its good to get others with far greater knowledge than I have involved.

So here goes... It may help people understand my thoughts and opinions if they knew a bit about my background. I've been an in arboriculture (or so i thought) for 4 years now and have worked for multiple people throughout this time. In this time my two main jobs (both for about 12 months) have been with "landscaping" companies that have got a tree division! I have learned a lot of practical knowledge off some talented people and enjoyed my time (for the most part) in the "arb" (or so i thought) business.

During this period I felt that although I was learning a lot, I was passionate about this new career I had started and wanted to learn more, a lot more. I saved my pennies, did a bit of research in career direction and what positions i could attain with certain qualifications, and this september have started my FdSc in Arboriculture.

The amount of things I have read and learned so far has only touched the tip of a very, very, VERY large iceberg and there are MANY people out there who are far more knowledgeable than i probably ever could be, but i still have opinions of this industry that i feel need addressing (and this is the part were i don't want to upset people as they are just MY inexperienced observations).

I'll try to write things down as i see them and in order but i'm never that good at putting down whats going on in my head down in writing.

I have just spent the last couple of hours tonight reading a part of one of my modules on tree planting and pit planting in particular. Now, as a fresh faced individual without the educational skills in Arboriculture wanting to impress new bosses i pretty much did as i was told without questioning practices (in tree planting), even though i knew they were wrong. I have atrociously planted trees in the past (and feel ashamed of this fact) for supposed reputable "landscaping" companies that are supposed to be regulated and adhere to industry standards. I'm not trying to say that these companies and businesses are outright cowboys as they weren't/aren't, but this is were i think there should be industry standards for tree planting across the board. There is as far as i can tell guidelines and correct practices as to how tree planting should be done but there is also a lot of research that shows us that know one way of doing it is "correct". Again at the moment I am too inexperienced to "preach" to people on anything i have stated here but i am allowed my opinions:001_tt2:

So, is there industry standards for tree planting? Are they adhered to and if not why not? What can we do to educate businesses and the general public on these guidelines? And is anyone bothered...:confused1:

I am interested in the urban forest. I have also done a lot of work around the major towns and cities here oop in the north west and find that there are a lot of poor areas and poorly looked after trees. I'm not at all saying LA's are to blame because i have worked for a few (only on short term contratcs) and i do not know or even pretend to know what goes on in the boardroom or with the purse strings! Whilst working were i have, i have also been to a lot of new construction sites and it seems trees and the general landscapes (up here anyway) tend to get the back end of the budget and go to the "cheapest" contractor. Again let me re-iterate these are my uneducated ramblings:blushing:

We are heavily regulated when it comes to H&S and practical techniques and practices, but are we on other things like for instance tree planting? Am i looking into things far too deeply, or can things on the whole be improved and if so how?

This train of though also applies to something i've been thinking about whilst in my current position and has probably cropped up before.

The term tree surgeon and tree surgery is used in the same existence as arborist and arboriculture and i'm sure that although there are some very hard-working, extremely talented tree surgeons out there, shouldn't we all be arborists?

Found this on a website and thought it was interesting

An arborist is used to refer to someone who has a knowledge of trees as living organisms, understands when, how and why to perform pruning.

An arborist, as well as knowledge of trees and how they grow, will also have the skills necessary to operate a chainsaw, climb the tree safely and carry out the pruning operations.

The distinction being that anyone who climbs a tree with a chainsaw and cuts 'bits' off can and do call themselves a tree surgeon. The bits that are cut off may not necessarily be the correct bits. They may not even be cut off a tree that the 'tree surgeon' even knows what the tree is, let alone how it will respond to pruning.

Within the profession of arboriculture, tree surgeon is increasingly being used to refer to cowboy operators and tree surgery to the work that they carry out.

Having said this, the public at large may very well have never heard the terms 'arborist' or 'arboriculture' and still use the old terms. On the internet and in general marketing many professional arborists and arboricultural businesses will, for this reason, still have to refer to themselves using the terms tree surgeon and tree surgery.

Following on from this then, it is up to all in the profession to help re-educate the public to understand that arboriculture is a profession which specifically deals with the care of trees, and an arborist is a professional who carries this out. Over time these terms will increasingly be used and understood.

Woah just realised that this is a pretty long post and i din't mean to go on and on. I don't mean to upset anyone or insult people but just wanted to put my thoughts and feelings out there.

Has anybody got any counter-arguments, agreements, disgruntled opinions? Or am i the only one:thumbup:

Nice post RobArb - it's great when some study gets you really thinking about things isn't it?! I have also just started a new course of study and it has really got me looking at things differently already.

The tree surgeon/arborist thing is an ongoing identity crisis in the industry. In the U.S everyone knows what an arborist is, and arborists are proud to call themselves by that title. Unfortunately most people in the UK don't know what 'arboriculture' means, so the term 'tree surgeon' is mostly used.

A while ago on this forum there was a debate as to whether people considered themselves an arborist or a climber/tree surgeon. Some people would prefer just to be known as a climber as they don't want to get too involved in the management/decision making side of the industry. Personally I think this is a shame as any good tree surgeon that has a real working knowledge of trees and an understanding of tree biology/mechanics should be proud to call themselves an arborist and raise the profile of our little industry.

As for planting, there is a BS for transplanting root-balled trees, and a few for nursery practices - and a new standard is currently being written and consulted on to be released next year I think.

Thanks for posting your thoughts. Hope my ramblings make sense.

Rob, phew...good post (beats mine for mileage!)

Tree planting standards, IM(personal)O, are pretty poor across the board but much of the problem with lack of tree establishment starts at the nursery, an issue very close to the heart of Keith Saker of Barcham trees and hence he is involved in the production of a BS, but I think this is affecting nursery parctice rather than planting techniques.

In my previous LA role many is the time I've returned under the cover of darkness to replant a tree that the Council lads have buried (i.e spec says hole 900mm deep so tree planted 900mm deep...aghhhhh!!!!)

We recently incorporated tree planting into the AAAC standards as a mandatory element, in part to highlight the issue of 'replacement' tree planting, and results have been mixed to be honest.

In terms of specs / refs, the JCLI Landscape Manual, or similar, includes a section of tree planting I recall. Also the EAC (European Arb Council) do a pretty good little booklet whihc could also form part of a contract spec titled 'Euro Tree and Palm Planting Guide' (living on the English Riviera it's very appropriate for me, ha.)

The issue regarding tree surgeon/arborist and tree surgery/arboriculture is long running and frequently raises it's head. When producing the public guide to employing a tree surgeon the panel sleceted "Choose Your Arborist" in a bid to educate the public and obviously it has a picture of a "tree surgeon" on the front to make the association (personally I would still have liked ot see the words 'tree surgeon' in brackets after 'Arborist'.)

At the end of the day you need to amke sure people understand who you are and what you do and in that reagrd, certainly in the UK, 'tree surgeon' is the most familiar term I would suggest. Thereafter it's personal choice for the individual, perhaps "RobArb Tree Surgeon (Arborist)" would have some level of education.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts, they are valuable and the more thinkers we have the better the industry will become.

Cheers..

Paul

Thanks for sharing your thoughts, they are valuable and the more thinkers we have the better the industry will become.

Cheers..

Paul

Thanks, but i don't want to be classed as just a thinker... :001_tt2:

As i said i have only just started down this long road but i am full of ideas. My problem is though that although i consider myself a decent climber and a hard worker, i think i would find it difficult to earn peoples respect on matters that i am truly inexperienced on. I know things take time, and i wouldn't want to put peoples noses out of joint but i think that the general public and some company owners would benefit from being educated about all aspects of our job (including tree planting).

I know this world isn't perfect i'm not that naive, but it would be nice for everyone that is an arborist to get the recognition they deserve because of the good practices they deliver. not just because they put in the lowest tender.

Sorry to rant again, think i'm just on a downer about me job at the moment, but hopefully things will change:thumbup:

Rob

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

Digging up an old post, excuse the pun...

I'm helping someone plant several large compartments with 1200 bare-root hardwoods - Q. robur, Acer sp. (Maple of some variety), Carpinus caroliniana (Hornbeam) and a few others. Straight lines, and he was saying there's a variety of planting schemes from the FC and others. My questions are:

When planting, is it advisable to alternate species i.e. Oak / Acer / Oak / Acer or does this mess up line thinning operations down the line?

Do you plant them in blocks? Or would a mix of species promote better long-term growth i.e. companion planting like Birch next to Pine.

How long will they last in sealed plastic bags from the nursery? They're bare-rooted, but covered in soil still so will exposing them to sunlight etc. promote transpiration that will exhaust them? Is it worth sticking them in tubs or loose compost or something in the interim because they're coming into bud.

We're looking to get them in the ground by the end of the month.

This project will be staked and tree guarded.

Any advice appreciated! Cheers.

I reckon blocks are better than alternating when close planting as you might end up with very stunted oaks overshadowed by acres either side.

If not planting within a day or two I normally heel bundles of trees in in fairly sandy soil.

Ps. Straight lines are boring!

If not planting within a day or two I normally heel bundles of trees in in fairly sandy soil.

Ps. Straight lines are boring!

Haha! Couldn't agree more on the straight lines! I've only ever planted randomly, like a drunk. Did a few weeks in the Scottish highland mimicking seed footprints under Granny Pines. Anywho, thanks for the advice, I'll mention it and get those trees in a few pots. Same for Spruce? Bearing in mind it's growing? There's some evil father Christmas money-making going on on the side :lol:

I have been in work for over 20 years now. Had grand ideas where I would be now and have done various lines of work.

At the end of the day in the natural world there are so many variables. I know when I have had to do things to a spec, whilst knowing the spec is counterproductive. Soil types, drainage, root zone depth etc cannot be covered or accounted for. For example in a boggy area the tree would be helped if planted on a slight mound. In a dry area a sunken despression would help for post planting watering. I think people who make rules and regs often dont do it for real but only look at it with a critical eye. EU HSE VOSA etc, we end up with a millstone of extra bother round our necks.

What is needed is intelligent people doing the job that care and think in decades not justtonights beer or video game. Unfortunately money rules people want a job done as cheap as possible, some contractors yield to low price whilst others have principles in quality of workmanship etc. The only way I can see your(and mine) ideals ever working is at company level.

The problem is we are all narrow minded as to what we do, cyclists see it their way, truck drivers theirs, etc. I have been on both sides and when someone says I can't do that. Because of the various things I've done I sometimes can say do you want me to do it for you which takes away there superficial status.

In my early nursery days they used to say every landscaper should work on a nursery to have a better understanding of plants and what goes into producing them. I could see that when they picked them up and lobbed em on. Knowing they were stuffed in a hole at the other end. You only have to see surplus plants from jobs failing in landscapers yards to know this experience if applied would of done them good.

I have had the frustrating experience of working with a consultant a qualified professional who was light years from reality because I assume he had never done the job in a practical way.

I reckon you are a young un Rob and have seen your enthusiam on here with tree id etc. My advice to you would be to control what you can control and if others choose to be shoddy isolate yourself from it, hopefully you will end up in a team that cares, after all you spend most of your adult energy and vitality earning a living so you may as well be happy doing it, I know if Im not happy in my work Im not happy in my life.

I should've just requoted and put ditto!:001_rolleyes: