Chainsaw Bars...

Ian Flatters

Now i've been pondering for a while now on if i buy an Cannon bar or a GB bar. I know they are more expensive but i am thinking for a bar which gets used daily is it worth spending a bit more? Or should i just stick with the Sthil, Husq or Oregon bars.

So what im asking is has anyone bought a Cannon or GB bar and whats their verdict?

Cannon Bars all the way!!! Used Oregon and Husky bars on my processor and it seemed to eat them almost on a weekly basis. Stepped up to a Cannon Bar and it has lasted me all year. Doesnt seem to flex like the others did and also with the steel being that much harder have had very very little wear. My only complaint is that they dont do a 15" Bar, I buy a 16" and pay a friend to modify it. Also I have had fantastic service from Tavistock Chainsaws ordering after 16.30 and still having 8.30 the next day delivery.:thumbup:

Sell them all (apart from Husky) and tried them all and still can't really help that much!

I know (as above) cannon have a reputation for lasting a lot longer than other bars but I'm not that sure... if you put a cannon bar up against an Oregon prolite bar of course it'll outlast it as the oregon bar is for the hobby/occasional user market. But against an oregon powermatch bar (solid construction) my experience is there's not a lot in it.

I've had and replaced 9 cannon bars over the last 5 years on various saws. They are very good bars - but so are the oregon, stihl and gb pro bars. I've still found myself dressing the rails regularly on cannons the same as other bars.

The longer gb bars are heavier built with thicker rails and I have found they have slightly less flex in them than the cannon bars. Perhaps need dressing a little more than the equivalent cannon but then they are a little cheaper.

:confused1:

Good topic, lost to talk about in this subject.

Most important is to compare same bars within the brands.

Dressing bars, maintaining them is part of service and you will not get out of that.

It is a important thing to do as well as inspection of the chains tie straps and drivers.

Usually if it is excessive wear it has a fault some were that can be avoided in future.

Low rakers, dull chains, dameges/wear on rims/sprockets etc....

It all interacts.

Most hrs you get out of a bar/rim and 4-5 chains that you rotate so they wear the same.

Alway's change rim when replacing bar...

If one part of the system is worn and the others are new, it will wear to fit each other.

Best is to have all new and replace all when it is time!

Lots of time, aggravation and money to save on this.

That's good advice Magnus but what about your actual opinions on different properties and wear characterisitcs of different bars. For instance do you think a cannon bar will give you enough extra use to warrant it's purchase over an oregon bar?