Im after a new car, opinions please??

Mozza

£3k will get you alot of car know i would be looking at them priced at £3500 - £4000 and offering £3K its a buyers market and if they say no move on to the next seller :001_smile:

That is so TRUE!!

But I would begin any negotiations at half the asking price, we are entering a buyers market the likes of which none of us have ever seen, IMO.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

As above it is defo a buyers market, we have just got a 55 plate mondeo with 45k on it, its a v6 so has a bit of guts and we even got them to throw in 12 months extra warranty, we paid £3500 for it, it was on for £1500 more than that. We put the money on the desk and said this is what we wanted to pay take it or leave it, as it was the first sale of the week( on Sat) they obvisouly couldnt refuse the offer. This was at a ford main dealers, i would try them as they seem to be desperate to sell.....

So for 3.5k we got a top car for doing all our road surveys :001_smile: , not bad when i was expecting to pay 6k.

Also, know its a dirfferent price range but the local land rover dealer is selling 08 pre reg defender 90 county pack for 15k + vat, thats a saving of 5k on list :scared1:

That is so TRUE!!

But I would begin any negotiations at half the asking price, we are entering a buyers market the likes of which none of us have ever seen, IMO.

That,s what I tried last week for a Wessex stumpgrinder on ebay. The seller was fuming and told me to use my money to get f..... as I would have more chance.

That,s what I tried last week for a Wessex stumpgrinder on ebay. The seller was fuming and told me to use my money to get f..... as I would have more chance.

But has he sold it?

It may sound hash to offer such a low price, but you have to keep in mind that if you buy something you have to be in a position to sell it if you need to, and as the market is still falling you have try and pay low enough to still be able to get most of your money back in the near further if needs be.

I know that this does in fact drive down the market, but what else can you do?

But has he sold it?

It may sound hash to offer such a low price, but you have to keep in mind that if you buy something you have to be in a position to sell it if you need to, and as the market is still falling you have try and pay low enough to still be able to get most of your money back in the near further if needs be.

I know that this does in fact drive down the market, but what else can you do?

It sold for £1600. He asked me to make an offer when bidding was at £510, so I offered £550. Could,nt see a problem with that, after all why should I be the buyer and seller. I was thinking of bidding till the end so I could see his face when I collected.:fight:

It sold for £1600. He asked me to make an offer when bidding was at £510, so I offered £550. Could,nt see a problem with that, after all why should I be the buyer and seller. I was thinking of bidding till the end so I could see his face when I collected.:fight:

I can see them holding out on a grinder as they know its going to make money by doing its job.... Cars are different as there are lots and lots of them and everyone that is for sale has a minimum price tag that it will go for even if the seller makes a loss, always take the cash with you and tell them that someone gets this bundle of notes today ( have it in £10 notes as even a grand looks like a fortune!!) tell them the price you will pay and then walk away if they dont.

Good luck and be ruthless its the only way to buy.

I got a honda FRV, 07 plate 9,500 miles on the clock book price about £10,500 paid £8,500. It was over £20,000 18 months ago, it's a Honda with 18 months dealler warranty remaining. It's a great car if you want a six seater with room for a dog.

I also wouldn't worry as much about MPG's unless you do a lot of miles. Found a web site which works out what you pay in fuel, compared what it would cost in the 2l petrol FRV compared to my old 1.9l diesel berlingo. Assuming milage of 7000, its only going to cost me an extra £150 odd quid a year for fuel.

Skoda all the way. I had a fabia sdi estate, did 60 to the gallon and cruised at 90 all day.

Octavia for something a bit bigger, although its surprising what you get in the fabia estate.

And they are really just very good value for money volkswagens.

I got a skoda SUPERB 3 years ago and its been a great car, going to have another one. It's based on the passat, same engines same kit you just don't get the same name don't pay the same price either mind you. Been V reliable 130 bhp 1.9 TDI More room than an s class merc for peanuts........:001_smile: