Stumpgrinder accident.

Mick Stockbridge

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hearing about your situation has made me alot more careful when people are working close to the the stumpy, so i thank you for posting. Hearing things like this does impact peoples sometimes stubborn way of thinking and i believe your situation will make alot of people here think twice an be a bit more safer so thank you again. As with all keep positive its the only way through a tough time.

you dont know how pleased i am to hear that. no accident is good but if people can take something positive from it and potentially make a positive impact on other peoples lives then it hasnt happened in vain.:thumbup1:

hi guys, sorry i hav'nt posted in a while. between surgery and a dodgy internet conection its been a little awkward to get on here and post.

anyway i thought i would bring you all up to speed on recent events. last friday i had 5 hrs of surgery to close the wound up, the plan was to pull some muscle round to fill the space and then put a skin graft over the whole lot. as i understand it they managed to bring some muscle round from the back of the injured leg and also some from the top of the same leg to fill in the gaps including the void around the knee. they then took skin from the other leg to graft over the whole wound.

the op really drained me for the next couple of days but after some good rest and a couple more units of blood i perked up alot. a week on i'm now back to my jolly self.

unfortunately part of the muscle flap has failed and started to die off along with part of the graft but this is only a small portion of it and the doctors are pleased with how the rest is taking. the plan at the moment is to continue letting the rest heal up and then to get me back in surgery next week to correct the bit that hasn't taken. this could involve taking some muscle from my good leg or possibly my back but it all depends on how much has died off as it could still be taking well under the surface of the dead tissue.

also the physios came round on thursday and got me standing with a frame. they then got me hobling across the ward with it but strictly no weight bearing on the injured leg. ive been out of bed today again to have a little hop to the window but at the moment i am only aloud to be up for 5 mins max and only twice a day. this is about right though as after a couple of minutes i am ready to get back on to the bed at that point. the good thing is it should get easier with practice but the draw back after i go back to surgery next week i will undoubtably be back on bed rest for a few days and this will mean starting from scratch again but then i do like a challenge.

sorry its been a drawn out explanation but after all your good wishes and support i think a full update is the least i can do. thanks again everyone. dave.