TR70 branch logger at APF

Buzzsurgeon

If they did a 9" one with a conveyor I'd buy it, stick it all in the back of the truck, and store it up at the yard, once you have a couple hundred ton hire a big screen for the day and hey presto, a pile of little logs and some chip.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the Bilke [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VJN7o-Vi01s]Bilke[/ame] from M Large in Antrim will do the same job but can also handle larger diameter fresh timber and it seems more robust.

...But beware of splinters in the processed firewood!

I think the Bilke
from M Large in Antrim will do the same job but can also handle larger diameter fresh timber and it seems more robust.

...But beware of splinters in the processed firewood!

Can see where you're comign from but think that they are two different machines for different things and that one won't do both things, and that as in the post above, peopel would end up with both. I don't see the branchlogger as a firewood processor in the conventional sense.

Not so sure..

A guy not too far from me has a Bilke for processing ash thinnings, but he recently bought a TR70 for the branches.

Yep, can see that being the case

• 4 months later...
How're you getting on with the machine after a few months of using it? we've loads of small diameter hardwood to do something with and there's only so much charcoal we can make.

Shipping the nets out as kindling the customers love it. A great big net of kindling for £10 what a bargain:sneaky2: All they need to do is grab a handfull for each time they light there stove/fire the pieces are about 3"-5" and there are a few tiny bits mixed in but nobody seems too bothered by that. I've got a cabinet maker guy that has loads of 2"x1" hardwood offcuts about 8' long I dont know whether to cut it down and mix in with the softwood or sell it seperately as "starting logs" packed in same size nets.

the "starting logs" thing is a bit gimmicky i know but i'm sure they'll sell when logs start running short:biggrin:

Thanks Phil.

What kinda size of wood do you use to make the kindling from?

How much do the empty bags cost? Do you know if they're UV stable? ie could you season wood in them?

I use allsorts of sized timber and just run it through my circular saw if it's too big and cut it down to roughly 1"x1".

The company I bought the machine off had a load of nets without tie tops(I think they come over with machines)Well i bought all that stock off them and just tied the tops off with string, because the nets are so large theres only a couple of suppliers that i've managed to find(guys who supply machine and Medallion net company.) as for UV stability not a clue all I know is that i started bagging wood early summer and they've been sat in barn since and seem just fine and the price of nets I have no idea have a look on Medallion nets web site that might say i honestly cant remember.

Thanks Phil

Could be used for converting hedgelaying brash read for charcoaling, if you did the charcoal in small drums like I do, would save burning up brash and add value to the job, in reality I'd probably end up with a big stack of bags of tiny logs and never get round to charcoaling it :001_cool:

Has anyone tried using small stuff like this in a 5ft or 6ft kiln?

Looks to me like it could make loading up very quick, as well as being a good way of converting otherwise useless material.

But what would the result be like? I guess it would be more biochar than charcoal.