New Komet harness

Ian150482

No shortcut it part of the design. The moebius loops which give you a self aligning triangulation become a wear part the same as the bridge therefore you have to have a CE certified method of replacement. Shackles are the only way. The shackles now have a sealing wax applied at the factory which allows 4 opening and closings without the need for locktite. Should you open and close more than this you can either apply your own locktite or but new shackles. If the moebius loops were not relaceable I am sure this would have more criticism.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My guess is that the shackles are there so all the software that connects to moving hardware can be replaced when it is worn, in line with the rest of the komet range.

As long as the manufactorers instructions are complied with, there should never be a problem with them.

Had a climb in a morpho, courtesy of Honeys.

Wont be buying one, cant find any improvement over a butterfly in any feature on the harness, and certainly couldnt justify the asking price.

Didnt like the gear loops, too fiddly to get biners in and out of, and they didnt feel especially durable. If they were to break I couldnt see any way of replacing them or adding any gear storage.

The moebious loop thingys might be innovative, but the shackles seemed to stay at the top all the time I was climbing in it, which rather defeats the object of having them mobile!

It also seemed to suffer from the same riding up problem I get with the BFII, not helped by the added length of the loops connecting leg loops to waist belt.

All in all, if the price is a true reflection of the cost of manufacture, then I think that market research should have shown that climbers are not going to pay that much for it, or if the price is artificially high because of the supposedly clever design then it will have to come down before they start selling!

It was the most expensive harness at the fair by around £40, or around 20% more than most of the top end harnesses, and I think the number sold compared to the other models will speak for itself.

Thats only my opinion though, and I'd love the hear what anyone else who has climbed in one thought!

I had similar issues as Peter when I tried it, slid up quite drastically. I also found the range of movement laterally not briliant, due to a relativley short bridge. The gear loops worried me a little, i could see a climber easily getting hung up on stubs etc when descending through the crown as they do pertrude quite a distance from the back pad.

I was not impressed overall, and think there are better harnesses out there for less money