The cheapest quote ??

Dean Lofthouse

Just quoted 200 quid to take down 20 landeys mature trees that had been kept down to about 9 foot nice easy job bout half day for 3 men truck n chipper,the customer is the father one of one of my sons mates,baring this in mind i kept the price down,even then by the look on his face i could tell he thought i was to dear,he said he was going to get other quotes,went round there today to drop my son off and hes had the job done by someone else,he was really off with me and it felt a little awkward ,not for me i couldnt care less,if someone wants to work for nothing carry on,i priced it as cheap as i could thinking that we would do another job in the afternoon and make our money back that way,what im gwtting at is because he knows my son he was expecting mates rates,i did try but im not a charity.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thats mighty cheap, I always hate doing friend jobs and friend of friends job, you always end up cutting your hands off or being really awkward when you charge a fair price. Unless they have a useful skill which you can equally take advantage of

i find it realy funny how some will quote so cheaply , i cant work out if its because they feel thats all they are worth or that they feel a duty to undercharge or just because they are to thick to work out that if they charge like the rest of us they will not have to do half as much work and be just as well off . never the less it is great fun playing games when you know someone is doing it !!

(that aint a dig at you either Bri)

i find it realy funny how some will quote so cheaply , i cant work out if its because they feel thats all they are worth or that they feel a duty to undercharge or just because they are to thick to work out that if they charge like the rest of us they will not have to do half as much work and be just as well off . never the less it is great fun playing games when you know someone is doing it !!

(that aint a dig at you either Bri)

Trouble is a lot of people are struggling short term, and IMO digging themselves into a rut long term. Theyve done well for a couple of years brought equipment and so on. That £200 quid job that they've done for a £100 could have been done by one person (maybe - I haven't seen it) which could pay for the fuel for a week whilst waiting for other jobs -which won't happen to come in. This means that they stay afloat for a while until something major goes bang and they have been effectively borrowing money.

I've got a contract finishing soon that is my bread and butter. This is a trap I need to make sure I don't fall into, I either need to get some more decent work in, or go and work for someone else whos got decent work. Not amble along almost making ends meet.

R

I win a big percentage of my jobs because I am the cheapest.

I still do a top job and compared to most on here my rates are too cheap, I still get undercut quite often though!

same ere, personally i dont do family jobs for a £££ i just say the time will come when il be looking for a hefty favour in return:biggrin: as for friends of the family, bizniz is bizniz and let them understandd that il price it but it will be the normal price as i aint a charity and have to make a living like them:biggrin: if they dont like the price, then go and look up some have ago hero or i pass them mick stockbridge's number:001_tt2:

I do believe we are going to have a look at a job tomorrow for you young Phillip, I'll earwig your quote then go back after I've dropped you off and undercut ya......:laugh1: I'll chuck in a free hedgehog supper to swing it my way......"Course we got insurance guvnor, take oath on me Jack Russell's eyesight"......:laugh1:

I do believe we are going to have a look at a job tomorrow for you young Phillip, I'll earwig your quote then go back after I've dropped you off and undercut ya......:laugh1: I'll chuck in a free hedgehog supper to swing it my way......"Course we got insurance guvnor, take oath on me Jack Russell's eyesight"......

:lol::lol:the little fella is as blind as you mick:001_tt2:

I dont refuse to go I just tell them I'm not cheap.

An asian gentlemen came over and asked us the other day if we were cheaper than "all the rest"

I just told him no, we were quite expensive really :001_smile:

I put an advert in the local paper, made the mistake of putting "lowest rates in beds,bucks,herts". i was inundated with asian gentlemen,no matter what price i quoted they still wanted it done cheaper. I suppose the only way with these asian gentlemen is to put an extra £100 on the job and let them knock you down by £50.