Were Climbers better 15 years ago?

Mike Hill

So a mixture of common sense and hard graft of the old and use of new techniques and kit is the best policy.

Don't forget how to light a fire with sticks just because we've got lighters and all that.

Also learn from others mistakes, don't discount what they were doing at the time as an option completely.......the "right" thing can be done wrongly and the "wrong" thing can be done right. Good analysis of techniques and application dependant on personal skill levels?

So really we wont see the overall effects on skill levels of the improved ropes/pulleys/lowering devices until the mass population of climbers have been using them for 15-20 years and then compare them to the masters/veterans 15-20 years previously, which of course will be relatively small in the speed as new ropes/devices will never give improved routes round a tree, just comfort in positioning and how big we can go, limited of course by the rigging point.

So really are the climbers of 5/10/20 years of 15 years ago better than those of equal experience now, I'm gonna go for no, not unless the general population of arbs are slowly becoming stupidified :tongue_smilie::marchmellow::stupido2:

Edited by treemeup

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yes, its about a balance is it not?

If you have two guys who do equal quality, but one is twice as efficient as the other because hes old school and doesnt need to fiddle about with bells and whistles, has fine tuned his gear choices via years of experimentation and elimination of the "superfluos" (most modern stuff!)

15 years climbing will teach you how to avoid "wasting time and energy, youll learn how to minimise anchorage instalations, re climbs etc route planning and insight will win the day every time.

5 years and your a pro, add 10 more your a master, ten more and your a veteran, a veteran climber will move slower but still hit the ground first.

As you get older you start using your experience rather than your muscle.

best answer so far!! i feel lots of negativity so far towards new climbers but you my friend have hit the nail on the head!:001_smile:

So a mixture of common sense and hard graft of the old and use of new techniques and kit is the best policy.

Don't forget how to light a fire with sticks just because we've got lighters and all that.

Also learn from others mistakes, don't discount what they were doing at the time as an option completely.......the "right" thing can be done wrongly and the "wrong" thing can be done right. Good analysis of techniques and application dependant on personal skill levels?

So really we wont see the overall effects on skill levels of the improved ropes/pulleys/lowering devices until the mass population of climbers have been using them for 15-20 years and then compare them to the masters/veterans 15-20 years previously, which of course will be relatively small in the speed as new ropes/devices will never give improved routes round a tree, just comfort in positioning and how big we can go, limited of course by the rigging point.

So really are the climbers of 5/10/20 years of 15 years ago better than those of equal experience now, I'm gonna go for no, not unless the general population of arbs are slowly becoming stupidified

People do get into arboriculture for different reasons these days though, thats a fact. It wasnt a "cool" job when I started out, it was a job, and it was outdoors, I did a bit of farming before hand, that job was just as hard, I wasnt work shy so being a grafter and prefering the outdoor life it suited me.

Now guys get into tree work for lots of reasons, other than just because its a job, the secret somehow got out that this was, though a tough job, too much fun, and now the masses want in!:biggrin:

many enter and leave, on finding just how much efort is required to be any good at it, those that remain, are no different to those of 15 years ago, the spirit and heart required to stand firm, be strong and be bold is still the same today as it was back then.

the only difference today is you dont get points for "being a bit of a nutter"!:lol:

People do get into arboriculture for different reasons these days though, thats a fact. It wasnt a "cool" job when I started out, it was a job, and it was outdoors, I did a bit of farming before hand, that job was just as hard, I wasnt work shy so being a grafter and prefering the outdoor life it suited me.

Now guys get into tree work for lots of reasons, other than just because its a job, the secret somehow got out that this was, though a tough job, too much fun, and now the masses want in!

the only difference today is you dont get points for "being a bit of a nutter"!:lol:

Not even points from those who were themselves considered "a bit of a nutter?" I beg to differ on that one! :sneaky2:

Are there more jobs in the industry now compared to then to accommodate those who are 2cool? surely those who were always gonna be grafters and good climbers like back then still get into it now, there is just more room for glory workers who never really hit the heights?

"many enter and leave, on finding just how much efort is required to be any good at it, those that remain, are no different to those of 15 years ago, the spirit and heart required to stand firm, be strong and be bold is still the same today as it was back then."

so from this these climbers who last the wet winters and cooking summers, the long drags and pooey ropes are of the same steel as those of 15 yrs ago, with the equal experience in hours on ropes they should have an equal cutting speed and route choice round the canopy, just with todays ropes they should be able to set that work position slightly quicker when it comes to not bouncing back and forth, along with having lighter saws, ropes and harnesses fatigue should not be as much of a factor. so, not be by much but today's top climbers should surely be better! :biggrin:

With maybe overall standards dropping due to the increased numbers /cool climbers in the game :001_tt2:

In the old days tree work was a kind of rebel occupation in some ways.

People come in from the forces, but also environmentalists and hippies. We hippy element don’t like all your shiny things consumerist view of the job and we don’t like your H&S stuff either.

I’d climb on three strand hemp for ever, my way, and the way that Hama has described, with your route around the tree being the most important thing, not the money you spend on stuff.

You can keep your heroes wherever, you want to put them, but us oldies and the next generation of younger ones will just do the job without the need for the pat on the back that you are looking for.