Theiving scum gets electrefied !!!

Johny Walker

My mate does live jointing for EDF.

On a call out a few years ago to an outage, they found a cable dug up and partially cut. A pair of bolt croppers were fused to it, and a blackened and burnt pair of slip on shoes were close by.

No body was found, but the EDF lads had no doubt it would be medium-well at the very least.

What a shame.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i do a lot of work at power stations and have seen this a few times, i was speaking to an old bloke that works for EDF he said he went to a call out once and they found a hacksaw cut through a 132kV cable with a hand still attached, nothing else, once again they didnt find any other remains and nothing was reported to hospitals in the area, also we did a job at a cable bridge in Dartford recentely where the local "travelling folk" had started a fire at the base in order to short the power, little did they know that they are oil filled to keep them cool and it practically blew up! shut the power to most of Dartford for a week, including the Dartford crossing, cost them millions!!!!!

Years ago, at college doing engineering,we visited a local electricity generating station. The guy showed us round and said someone had got in to retrieve a frizbee. All they found was a charred handprint and a pool of fat on the ground.

Lots of cable thieving going on at the moment. There was a story in the paper about a considerable length of overhead cable getting nicked.Hopefully Darwin will sort it out.

network rail have massive issues

they drag the wires onto the lines so the train will cut it for them

got some trees to clear for LA street lighting at whitley which is fairly remote for those who don't know it as someone nicked the wires

On today's local radio lunchtime news it reported that a man had been electrocuted attempting to steal wire from a sub station at Driffield, 5 minutes up the road from us.

He's seriously burnt but alive in hospital and the police are waiting to interview him.

I dont know why they bother most of this cable is not copper and therefore only worth a tenth of the price. Alot of underground cable is ally and worth about £300 a tonne when stripped. I hope edf sent this bloke a bill for the power he enjoyed. High voltage power normally only leaves a fatty mark and a pair of shoes on the floor. :biggrin: