New lowering rope

Doug Blease

I have been looking at buying some new lowering rope. Last time round I invested wisely in Yale double esterlon 14mm. Needless to say, great rope.

I do very little REALLY big lowering at the moment so dont really require big heavy rope.

I was looking at some of the 12-14mm ropes on the market. Does anyone have any recommendations? They all seem about the same to me.

Any retailers got any deals on just now?

Thanks in advance.

Doug

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

educated arborist on this site has given me some great advice on lowering he could tell you what is really good he knows all about breaking strains and loading he would be able to let you know the best place to buy he is also loler uk you can contact him on their i would take his word as gospel

I like 1/2" Stable Braid for blocks and pulleys, and True Blue or Arbormaster in 1/2" for natural crotch rigging. I have 5/8" Stable Braid I haven't used in a year, so I took it off the truck. It's amazing after using a crane you get a feel for how heavy tree limbs and wood are, and 1/2" rope can take a hell of a piece.

ive just bought some 13mm portland braid, was going to to for double esterlon but at a bit less of the cost, seeing as i do little rigging i thought it would be a good choice. Its a nice rope and after speaking to guys on the fletcher stewart stand at the arb show, its 10% less strength for a less cost, a good alternative if you dont do much lowering.

I have heard good things about 14mm Sirus from nod. Personaly I go for 16mm Yale double esterlon.

Don't forget if you goto 16mm double esterlon then you'll need to be running a bollard to maintain your rope as the weakest link. 14mm double esterlon or portland is the MAX you can get away with on the large port-a-wrap aaAND thats only after acounting for loss of strength at rope termination!!!

Jonsie & I are soon to launch the Loler UK set deals which shall be available exclusivly from FR Jones each of which couples the technical know how with on the ground concencus & experiance. The set deals will have alot of asociated literature which will be available on-line free to all serving as an educational reference & sort of comparison chart when compiling a rigging kit.

I would personally steer clear of portland braid & believe it is a false economy, Double esterlon is stronger, harder wearing & performs better I haven't met any-one who's tried both & bought a second portland:thumbdown: You gets what you pay for!