Good read?

Pete Mctree

Anyone else on here an avid book worm?

I've just spent too many hours finishing Tom Robins book "Jitterbug Perfume"

Awkward in style and construction in parts, but the humour is dark and fierce, the politics incorrect and the laughs both loud and subtle. Enjoyed it immensley.

Who has some good recomendations? and what you reading?

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

almost finished Blood River, by a journalist who recreated Stanleys route across the congo..... quite an eye opener and interesting if you are into travel writing, also currently into Karin Slaughter (american crime novels), big favourite was David Gemmell, but hes gone and died on me, so unlikely to get many more from him i suppose. Read nearly anything, horror, travel, fantasy, and well into a good biography from time to time.... the billy connolly ones are a good read, as is the bob geldof one, shane mcgowan, john peel, bill bryson etc.

Takes me ages to read a book. I leave it so long between reads....I've forgot what I've read, and have to start the chapter again.

I have the book recommended by ANNA (The Woodcutters Tale). Should be finished it in about three or four years, if anyone wants to borrow it.:proud:

Used to think I was a bit of a book worm in the past, but since being a dad, my private time is now filled with the joys of being less selfish..............yeah right.:bawling:

Currently reading A long way gone "memoirs of a boy slodier" by Ishmael Beah

ISBN 978 0 00 779712 7

If you haven't allready, i'd recommend you give it a go Pete. :icon14:

A serious eye opener on the plight of survival of the unfortunate in Siera Leone :scared:

one of my favourite books is some times a great notion by ken kesey,some say its hard to read as its from the views and thoughts of all the charactors but i like keseys style one flew over the cuckos nest is a classic but this is the tale of a west coast logging family some of the charactors and scenarios you can really feel.

most of Ludlums books are too similar in style and content. He's not written anything as good as the Bourne trilogy.

I'm a bookaholic - Just finished the entire 'number 1 ladies detective agency' books, highly enjoyable, and paint a different picture of Africa to what you see on the telly.

Also just read the second part of the Fourth Realm / The traveller book 'Dark River' - great premise, but could be going the same way as Phillip Pullman i.e. a crap third book.

The Court of the Air by Steven Hunt was a difficult but highly interesting read.

Steampunk: Manimatron & its sequel Camera Obscura by Chris Baqelo - graphic novels at there best....

ANYTHING and all books by Terry Pratchet

The story of Pi - But I forget the author

I actually loose track of all the books I read, I like to buy a book every time I travel.