Excellent excellent excellent!

TimberCutterDartmoor

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would rather see speed bumps gone and cameras in their place tbh.

Still good though.:thumbup1:

There is Looooooooooooooooooooooads of bumps round your way mate, Although people do steal plenty of cars too :biggrin:

Excellent news, now I hope we have a traffic cop on every road junction.

The roads are chaos nowadays because everyone drives as they please with no consideration for anyone else, speeding is prolific as is dangerous driving.

Back to the good old days of "Good morning Sir, do you know why I have pulled you over"

Stonking, let's get some fines and bans handed out left right and centre, chuffed to bits

Good!!!, they add nothing to road safety any way, the figures used to support them are mostly fiddled.

And the really dangerous drivers know they will get away with it because there are less traffic police because of the cameras.

Yep thats abour right. all they are is gov piggy banks and bugger all to do with road safety, i could understand it if they were outside primery schools and the like but no, on straight bits of road where they know they will catch people and make some coin.

i have nothing against speedcameras, i used to drive like a complete pillock and calmed down a lot a few years ago, been clean now for a long time and hopefully it will stay that way. however today i mercilessly switched off traction control on a big car on tarmacd private land to ease the pain of this weeks 20mile drive in low range when the motorway was closed and blocked everywhere. i'd love to own a fast car again but the roads have been ruined for lovers of speed.

So if these cameras have to be axed because of spending cuts, it kind of makes you wonder about all the stories that claimed the cameras were nothing but a revenue stream.

That's because the proceeds go into the central pot but the installation, maintenance and ongoing contract is paid for by the county council. Swindon is a prime example of this as they switched all of theirs off due to the high costs. Their camera's actually raised X gazillion but the county council had something like a 500K cost each year (feel free to input the correct figures) which they couldn't sustain.

The bonus for the county council is that they have safe speeding driver free roads, the reality is that the roads are little safer and people speed up to the cameras, slow down then speed off again when they are past them.

As a sometime reformed speeding driver (two bans) I think they are good to slow down non locals who might not know the roads and hence the accident spots but local people do as I have said above, slow down before the camera then speed up again so they are no detterent.

If the government were serious about speed and not about revenue then we would have average speed cameras the length and breadth of the UK.

To add, speeding doesn't kill, bad driving certainely does. I would rather see the speed limit go up and all women banned from the road, and old people while we are at it. Whilst they might not be involved in many accidents statistically the amount they cause must be off the scale.