Bad Debtors.

I assume you normally ask for payment on completion? We're normally owed £5-20K and I see it as part of our normal business overheads. I've always been reluctant to ge heavy with slow payers, they always pay in the end and next time they may have a big job. A polite reminder usually does the job. I ask my wife to call them if I don't think I have the patience.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm tired of chasing up the same bloke for the last two payements of a week in hand.

not a massive ammount again, just short of £400, but when you're told a week in hand i expect to be paid a week later exactly. Not have to call everyday to be met by answer machine, not to have all txt's ignored.

As a subbie climber in the present climate, it takes just one or two late cheques to make my life really tricky, i still have bills going out, still have direct debits, still have fuel to pay for.

I could maybe live with the fact it's late if i had an answer, an explanation or something, but to be ignored when i've had no work since and any time now i'll start getting bank charges is infuriating.

I know where the company is based(As do the other 4 lads i know who are also owed)and the longer i have to wait, the more temted i am to turn up on his doorstep with my hand out.

Sad thing is, i was contacted via this site for the work.

Won't name the company here, but if things had'nt been so quiet lately i'd of told him to forget it as it's not the 1st time it's happened.

Sorry if i've had a bit of a rant here, but sometimes it feels like your'e just havin it taken out of you big time.

Mick i've got a friend who is a chiropractor and regularly gets stitched up giving people "rolling credit", for the worst offenders he uses a debt collection agency, they charge a small commission and do all the leg work for you, hasn't failed him yet, normally the phone call is sufficient to put the wind up most people.:sneaky2:

Mick i've got a friend who is a chiropractor and regularly gets stitched up giving people "rolling credit", for the worst offenders he uses a debt collection agency, they charge a small commission and do all the leg work for you, hasn't failed him yet, normally the phone call is sufficient to put the wind up most people.:sneaky2:

Thats what we do.We get 97% up front once the Debt has been handed over.It costs about £300 per year for this service.

Thats what we do.We get 97% up front once the Debt has been handed over.It costs about £300 per year for this service.

i use a similar company for around that price, but i get 100% and the company do the rest:thumbup:

Main thing Mick is try not to let it get in your head too much... When you're tired I find that sometimes I can spend literally hours winding myself up about something like this - if it happens these days I just keep reminding myself not to waste life immersed in negative, angry thoughts but it's hard :sneaky2: it's a massive test of self discipline.

They usually pay in the end and then a few months later there'll be another like them... just part of life and the job we do unfortunetly.

you're not down there yet are you? i'm abroad (scotland) for the week hadto cover luce as she cannot make the drive,, something to do with carrying a medicine ball up her jumper,,

thought you were down in august??

Yeah bad payers....lots of em!!....Thing is that u have to 'box clever' and have a paperwork trail from the outset. ie Quotation doc (signed on acceptance), T&C, with a method statement. Then invoice doc. With that they have no where to go in the courts.