subsidised aspen

pro bros

Be careful chopping and changing your fuelling between pump fuel and aspen...a lot dont realise a machines carb bits get 'used' to running on either/or and a machine that has been run on aspen then pump fuel can have carb diaphragm issues and vice versa. If youve always run a machine on one type of fuel then you would be wise for it to stay that way.....unless you want to change your diaphragms everytime you change to different fuels

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, pleasant said:

Be careful chopping and changing your fuelling between pump fuel and aspen...a lot dont realise a machines carb bits get 'used' to running on either/or and a machine that has been run on aspen then pump fuel can have carb diaphragm issues and vice versa. If youve always run a machine on one type of fuel then you would be wise for it to stay that way.....unless you want to change your diaphragms everytime you change to different fuels

I think this is a myth. I've been running my equipment on both now for years, like, five years at least. No issues. I know Stubby will warn about fuel lines, but in my experience it's a myth.

I noticed a batch of Aspen was light by around 500ml

Dealer told me the containers are porous and a loss was to be expected.

I looked at the packing date.

Contacted Aspen for the statistics showing expected loss through the container wall.

I suspect they sell Aspen at short measure then use the porosity and storage by clients as an excuse to cover up their fraud.

IMG_20231008_133709.jpg

IMG_20231008_134417.jpg

51 minutes ago, Haironyourchest said:

I think this is a myth. I've been running my equipment on both now for years, like, five years at least. No issues. I know Stubby will warn about fuel lines, but in my experience it's a myth.

If you're chopping between the two then surely that's a different test? The problem talked about is a long time on pump fuel and then switch only to aspen.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Dan Maynard said:

If you're chopping between the two then surely that's a different test? The problem talked about is a long time on pump fuel and then switch only to aspen.

Well, I run pump for the season, then when I lay up the gear, empty the talks and run Aspen through the system. So they're sitting with pump in the carbs and pipes for months, then Aspen for months, then pump again. If I need a saw in the off season for a short job, it's fueled and ready to go with the Aspen in the tank. I don't have petrol going off in the machines that way.

I know some people just run them dry and store dry, but I worry about evap and varnish buildup that way. Running a bit of Aspen through the works displaces ALL the petrol, by my reckoning.

I could then dump out the Aspen and run dry, do the carbs would be both dry and clean. But given that Aspen is like mother's milk, won't melt styrofoam etc, I don't see any harm in leaving it in the machines. Whatever chemically happens to the diaphragms with Aspen sitting in them, would happen anyway if they were dry, probably. Aspen is basically inert.

Anyway, that's what I've been doing, for a good few years, and haven't had any issues 

• Like 1

Carbs and fuel lines are pretty easy to test and replace when you have done a few.  Replacement carb diaphragms, fuel lines and carb cleaner are pretty cheap insurance against an air leak I'd say.

I run pump fuel in the strimmer all summer and then overhaul and check the carb in the winter.

16 hours ago, Ty Korrigan said:

I noticed a batch of Aspen was light by around 500ml

Dealer told me the containers are porous and a loss was to be expected.

I looked at the packing date.

Contacted Aspen for the statistics showing expected loss through the container wall.

I suspect they sell Aspen at short measure then use the porosity and storage by clients as an excuse to cover up their fraud.

IMG_20231008_133709.jpg

IMG_20231008_134417.jpg

So you know Aspen is far lighter than water?! 5L can should never weigh 5kg plus can. Assuming you know this, what actually does Aspen weigh per ml?!

4 hours ago, Whoppa Choppa said:

So you know Aspen is far lighter than water?! 5L can should never weigh 5kg plus can. Assuming you know this, what actually does Aspen weigh per ml?!

I know Aspen is lighter than water.

This isn't the issue.

I had a batch which when poured into my fuel can was consistently 500ml light.

I approached my supplier who took my complaint to Aspen who replied that the containers must have been stored incorrectly.

They revealed the fuel could evaporate through the container walls.

Well 500ml is alot to lose, €2.50 per container.

So I weighed one of the batch then reweighed it after the Summers heat having stored it in my garage mezzanine.

This was to see the weight loss over a given time.

I will weigh it again over the Winter and again before I open it 12 months after I first weighed it and measure the loss.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Haironyourchest said:

Well, I run pump for the season, then when I lay up the gear, empty the talks and run Aspen through the system. So they're sitting with pump in the carbs and pipes for months, then Aspen for months, then pump again. If I need a saw in the off season for a short job, it's fueled and ready to go with the Aspen in the tank. I don't have petrol going off in the machines that way.

I know some people just run them dry and store dry, but I worry about evap and varnish buildup that way. Running a bit of Aspen through the works displaces ALL the petrol, by my reckoning.

I could then dump out the Aspen and run dry, do the carbs would be both dry and clean. But given that Aspen is like mother's milk, won't melt styrofoam etc, I don't see any harm in leaving it in the machines. Whatever chemically happens to the diaphragms with Aspen sitting in them, would happen anyway if they were dry, probably. Aspen is basically inert.

Anyway, that's what I've been doing, for a good few years, and haven't had any issues 

I switched to Aspen when Husqvarna brought out the 550/560xp, I’ve run all my new saws on it since. I have two  ported 346xpg’s that I had  run for years on pump fuel, I switched them over to Aspen also, never had any issues with either of them since then.