Stuart Witt

What would you pay  

26 members have voted

1. 1. What would you pay

• £50-£75
    • £75-£100
    • £100-£120
    • less than £50

hey stu, as promised i will dribble some **** for you.

got a few points that i feel are good.

the comps ive done abroad have been great and have hugely enjoyed them and had a great time and i will point out some reasons.

in aus the had different different grades and allowed college goers and students the chance to do a rescue and a work climb, intermediates a 40ft footlock 1 throwline target and a rescue and a workclimb and the advanced a full comp.

in another aus comp they had a mad man on a mic and he was great he commented on climbing safe practice and spoke to climbers.

spain was well advertised and had a good crowd to see what we do and was a big promotion for good climbing and good work.

other comps had awesome locations and great facilities and a good dinner in the evening.

i also think around 100-120 is ok its about right for other comps ive done that are well set up and dont mind paying it.

what i do mind is paying to fly to the uk and dates being changed and booking time off work and then having to go and book back in, every comp this yr ive done that and the european ones i can rely on to not change.

i think they need to be more of a event than a qualifying formality.

id also like to see stuff like srt encorporated into the rescue, there would never be a footlock rescue on our sites as we dont do it but comps seem to ignore the fact that people do just set srt lines in trees and not footlock and that annoys me.

if you can turn it around id be happy to see it but im not going to do any more comps in the uk. the scottish was a nail in a coffin for me.

good luck stu, i think its a good thing your doing and hope you can make it better for everyone

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well i must say i am suprised at the lack of people think that this is not worth talking about, one reason i say this as most of the innovation that happens comes from the tree climbing comps.

For the few peolple that have voted on the poll and not put your view acroos is a shame

So what happened to the ISA Big Weekend?

one major flaw is the whole comp thing is very member-orientated. Newbies just dont get a look in, unless you're in the clicky group.

where do you advertise said comps? ive only seen the isa magazine (only available to paying members) and the isa website, (2 weeks to the uk+i, no entry forms and not a lot else!)

most peeps interested will want A comp, They're not bothered who organises it (isa,3atc,).

But yes, a shed-load of improvements could be made.

i dont wish to be rude, i know organising an event is hard at the best of times. but as a newbie to comps, the actual events are fine, its just i felt very lost and alone. which is the biggest turn off for a forty squids entry fee.

So what happened to the ISA Big Weekend?

one major flaw is the whole comp thing is very member-orientated. Newbies just dont get a look in, unless you're in the clicky group.

where do you advertise said comps? ive only seen the isa magazine (only available to paying members) and the isa website, (2 weeks to the uk+i, no entry forms and not a lot else!)

most peeps interested will want A comp, They're not bothered who organises it (isa,3atc,).

But yes, a shed-load of improvements could be made.

i dont wish to be rude, i know organising an event is hard at the best of times. but as a newbie to comps, the actual events are fine, its just i felt very lost and alone. which is the biggest turn off for a forty squids entry fee.

John,

The isa big weekend i didnt even know it happend, as far as no entry form and not allot else, so your not alone on that one.

I do not have any involment to the ISA but i hope things change. As this whole topic is about gaining inforamtion so i can see what people want out of a comp.

So let keep this thread going its making great reading.

and you did not come over rude just honest!:thumbup:

trust me, the information given is about as much use as a choccy teapot.

for my first comp, i just had a date, nothing else! the only way i got help was by looking through the old isa magazine, reading who took part in the comps, and tracking down and ringing jo hedger at all times of the day to ask silly questions. Jo was very helpful, but i shouldnt need to do that in the first place! Friday afternoon and i still had no idea if my entryform had been accepted.

thats why i started the dates thread, to get as much info as poss to help people out.

hi john,

i fully agree and think it is a valid point but i also think that competition is very different from climbing at work and similar in others. for me thats the excitement. but i do agree stu some good info would be really good. i also think a date way in advance would be good i notice that european comps are good because the date is available well in advace and so is information. but for uk comps the date changes and it seems unreliable i understand there are reasons but when plans are made to travel that gets me abit. i think that would also help gain some european competitors if they could plan in advance.

hi jarnii!

yes your right. the main prob is planning. my background is organising bike races, the date for a race has to be submitted to the BC (equivelant to isa) a year before the day. so it is advertised in the relevant books and website well in advance, (imagine a book with every race in the country for one season!) its full of details including organisers contacts, venues, dates, catagories etc.

entryforms are universal, you just write which event you want to do along with personal details, there is a deadline (2 or 3 weeks before event) as well as entry on line for a slightly higher fee