Hi vis in tree

Lancstree

when working on future development sites where CSCS cards are required hi viz is a must anywhere, i got a pair of hi viz stretch airs and a stein hi viz climbing jacket for this need, i also have a hi viz polo shirt, cant say you didnt see me!

When working anywhere else i dont wear hi viz unless its next to/on a road.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Definitely on the road and can be helpful for the climber to easily and quickly spot the groundsman wondering into the drop zone looking at his boots:001_rolleyes:

As for climbing nope, unless its wet and cold and its the only warm coat you have in the truck.:thumbup1:

Would you consider wearing a hi-vis in the tree a hazard due to it being a distraction to motorists. The reason I'm asking is because I've been told that I have to wear them on the ground on roadside work but not allowed to wear them in the tree for the above reason. .

I don't wear hi-vis in the tree for the same reason.

Well spotted hama! I believe Hi-viz comes in 3 classes dependant on the roads you'll be working on. As a rule of thumb;

30mph or less = class 1; vests etc

40-49mph = class 2; long sleeved shirts/jackets

50mph+ you'll need class 3 which is the whole shebang with trousers and such.

the advantage is they see you a long way off but when they get closer do they take any notice. Like hell they do they drive so close even when your all nice and reflective, one day I will push a pole saw through their window just to wake them up.

in a tree, personally a waste of time but thats just my own opinion and would do away with H&S (well 90% of it) and get back to a normal world where they dont want a tree cut down in case a conker drops on someone's head!

Where will the crazy idiots draw the line

the advantage is they see you a long way off but when they get closer do they take any notice. Like hell they do they drive so close even when your all nice and reflective, one day I will push a pole saw through their window just to wake them up.

in a tree, personally a waste of time but thats just my own opinion and would do away with H&S (well 90% of it) and get back to a normal world where they dont want a tree cut down in case a conker drops on someone's head!

Where will the crazy idiots draw the line

dont blame "the crazy idiots" or the HSE, blame the IDIOTS in our society who would sue your boss for the slightest, blame those who sue councils for tripping on conkers, blame those that walk offf of scaffolding just for the claim, or walk out into the path of a car, oh yes, they do exist.

Blame the society we are becoming, HSE recomendations are there to protect US from injury, and your boss from having a claim against him on the basis of not fullfilling his/her obligations.