Dog damage to trees

David Humphries

Sure that's not just dog pee!

I don't think iv seen slim fluxes occur on a wound that fresh. I wonder what other issues will occur from the damage. Is it widespread or localised to one area David?

Jake Andrews

Not dog wee, i sniffed it :biggrin:

fairly widespread on one site, across about 200 acres.

Damage must be occuring at sunrise or sunset or perhaps both.

I'm surprised to see the manifestation. Any thoughts on attempting to treat/mitigate the slime flux?

It will be intersting to see if the slime flux affects the bark tissue and vascular volumes directly under the flux run.

I'll be adopting a watching brief and will report back if I witness any dysfunction and successional colonisation.

Like many animals, dogs will self medicate which is called zoopharmagognosy by utilising natural remedies to treat various problems like digestive, aches, pains etc.

For instance a dog will eat grass (they are quite particular on grass type) to induce a gag reflex enabling them to evacuate their stomach of excess acid.

As you know tree bark contains various substances like tannins, lignin, polysaccharides like cellulose & through years of evolution the domestic dog has learnt which substances it needs to treat various ailments.

Sometimes they self medicate as a preventative measure.

Dogs are very quick to habit form if not corrected in the right way and my thinking is that due to the volume of damage you are experiencing on the Heath there is either a number of sickly dogs or one has formed a bark habit.

The other thought that has crossed my mind is that the dog has not been initially successful finding what it needs so is trying other trees.

My suggestion would be to install several wildlife cameras to the trees that have the most damage as there is obviously something in the bark the dog likes or needs.

Most dog owners walk their dogs at the same time and place most of the time.

I hope this helps.