Qualifications.Important or not?

Mike Hill

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Qualifications don't make you good at the job, there is no question of that. Qualifications don't do anything other than 'prove' you have done something. It's that 'something' that is the important part. The system and process behind the learning that leads towards the qualification, along with what you retain, is the valuable thing. If you just go through the motions towards gaining a qualification then you will not benefit nearly as much as a person who thrives from learning about a subject they are really absorbed in. This would reflect well in talking to customers and conferring with colleagues. I believe that qualifications are important only if they have been enjoyed and this does not necessarily take away practical skill and ability as knowledge can go hand in hand with this

and how long did you have this job?

apply today and find out a different story, if you was going for that role today, they would not entertain you.

I even have a friend who was asked in interview why if he was so interested in the role why had he wasted his time on arb contracting rather than direct his career that way earlier!

Those that have no experience at the coal face seem to assume that we have no aspirations or that doing the dirty work means your not "the type":lol:

i was a climber for 7 years, estate woodsman for NT for 1 year before that and an estate woodsman for lord aberconway for 6months before that. I moved to the surveying role due to a change in circumstances 18 months ago and have just finished my first month as a senior TO. I loved all the time on the tools and learn't so much but i now relish the new challenges of dealing with TPO's and planning proposals.

Sorry, that was for fluffy bunny

have a d and 2 e's at a level, and 11 higher grade passes at GCSE. apart from that only a few module passes on a Ndip in countryside mgmnt and my Professional tree inspection certificate. I have just used my time served to learn as much as i can and know how and when to apply that knowledge.

I even have a friend who was asked in interview why if he was so interested in the role why had he wasted his time on arb contracting rather than direct his career that way earlier!

If I was interviewing I would ask this kind of question to see if the applicant had thought about how the two roles actually did link up :sneaky2:

Edited by Hawthorn
Spelling!

Those with little knowledge of any field are impressed by qualifications, as this is the only means by which they can measure ability.

Those who have a good knowledge and experience of the field, can soon spot those that can "walk the walk" not just "talk the talk".

I can honestly say that the people who have impressed me the most have been those who have had little or no qualifications, but they had forgotten more about our industry and how to safely get the job done, than many trainers know.

i admire guys with qualifications, i could never be bothered to sit in a room and study, it was a form of torture for me as a kid, i found no matter how much i read something it just wouldnt go in to my head, my concentration is rubbish. Some guys are academic some arent, some are good at running their own business others prefer to work for someone else. I would much rather work for someone else if they could pay me what i want and let me do things my way lol. I would of thought if someone thought they had the knowledge they could turn up on test day, pay some money and sit the test. Bills come first so you have to go to work and a lot of guys will study and research while others are sleeping so its only fair.