Controlled free-fall (vertical speed line)

RC0

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Love watching vertical speedlining:thumbup1:. I watched ace trees one recently and was wondering if you needed to use the more expensive lowering block compaired to a simple fig 8 or could you tie some knots instead? Nice video, feel sorry for all the sharpening that must of come on to cut up that last bit of stem:thumbdown:

Love watching vertical speedlining:thumbup1:. I watched ace trees one recently and was wondering if you needed to use the more expensive lowering block compaired to a simple fig 8 or could you tie some knots instead? Nice video, feel sorry for all the sharpening that must of come on to cut up that last bit of stem:thumbdown:

Ian I needed to pre-tension the line using a MA-pulley. I dont think I even have a figure8 and wouldn't know how to pre-load it if I did.

Ideally I'd have had the LD anchored to an adjacent tree and attached a big D-shackle as a re-direct at the base of the tree being removed.

There are lots of combo's that would work just fine Ian, relative to the location and the size of the logs being cut....this was just my take on that particular day. Thanks again.

Ian I needed to pre-tension the line using a MA-pulley. I dont think I even have a figure8 and wouldn't know how to pre-load it if I did.

Ideally I'd have had the LD anchored to an adjacent tree and attached a big D-shackle as a re-direct at the base of the tree being removed.

There are lots of combo's that would work just fine Ian, relative to the location and the size of the logs being cut....this was just my take on that particular day. Thanks again.

Ah, got ya. Thought id ask as i was curious on how you did it/ if there was any different ways. Cheers for the reply.:thumbup1:

excellent work Reg, thanks posting. Could the LD have been positioned on the side opposite where the wood was dropping?

Tim the logs are obviously drawn to where the device is positioned so I put it where I thought would land the logs at a safe distance from the fence and still afford them to bounce around a little. Had I positioned the device any further around I think the fence would have taken a hit. And like I said earlier, I wasn't so much worried about the device, more the attachment sling. Thanks

I just use the rope, no slings or LD, no figure 8's etc. Just half hitch it at the base and back on itself if you need to tighten it.

In the video the lumps were still pulling a bight out of the rope so it wasn't that taught anyway.

Good vid though.

Rupe, any further with the Big cedar we discussed?

I just use the rope, no slings or LD, no figure 8's etc. Just half hitch it at the base and back on itself if you need to tighten it.

The LD or other Steel hardware was used to make it easier and quicker to tie off mid-line. As well as, its much friendlier on the rope at that point as the impact loading can be quite severe and unpredictable at times with 300kg logs. With knots you run a higher risk of scorching which wouldn’t be great mid-line of new rope….but if there was no other way then a clove-hitch would be my choice as you don’t get the 90 degree bend where damage is otherwise most likely to occur.

In the video the lumps were still pulling a bight out of the rope so it wasn't that taught anyway.

The sling/slide-line configuration was set up in a way that the 3:1 pre-tension applied at the base was transferred directly to the slings up top to make it easier for me to fold the logs in the direction that I wanted them to go. So the ‘dip’ you refer to occurred only after the pre-tension/LD combo had served that particular purpose. Cheers.