Hobbies and chilling picture thread

Stephen Blair

that is one big beasty Mike, what kind of deer is that? red?

Yeah,its a Red.

Biggest one that I have seen.Its two back legs without skin and hung for two days weighed 90 Kg.I had to make two trips on foot to carry the Meat off him.

I couldn't get my hands around the base of its Antlers.There was a game Farm in a Valley over,they buy in Animals for rich "Hunters" to shoot.He must have escaped from there.

Mike when i was a kid my dad had loads of videos of the guys that went hunting for the deer and goats after the war in NZ, shorts, boots, rifle and a knife and they would disapear for months. A lot of the guys were just back from the war so it must of been an amazinf escape for them. I would love to do that one day, maybe sooner rather than later. Is that still possible in NZ or is it all permits and red tape??

Mine exploration. Coal mines in particular in fact anything coal mining related is my thing. If I remember rightly the ones with the big machines are at Cutacre opencast, the underground ones are a local quarry and some 17th and 20th century mine workings in Yorkshire somewhere. I can't be specific as I'd get a slapped wrist.

Mike when i was a kid my dad had loads of videos of the guys that went hunting for the deer and goats after the war in NZ, shorts, boots, rifle and a knife and they would disapear for months. A lot of the guys were just back from the war so it must of been an amazinf escape for them. I would love to do that one day, maybe sooner rather than later. Is that still possible in NZ or is it all permits and red tape??

No permits.No red tape.Man,Rifle,Back Pack.

In NZ you will need permits and gun license. Pretty easy to get though and plenty of places to go stalking.

I could go for a walk in the hills behind my place and be on to some reds in about half an hr. Mind you D.O.C (Depatrment of Conservation) are often in the hills culling the pests as they like to call deer!

The south island has the wider range of species including Chamois, Tahr if your into that sort of thing.

Plenty of goats up on the hills for a bit of target practice, just watch out for the wild pigs.

:thumbup: