Mouldy logs and vented bags.

Dave Martin

i had a customer who insisted his firewood was clean, almost to planed finish, i told him this would cost more as more care and effort was involved

to do this the wood needed to almost instant dry on the outside and needed to stay this way so it was stored in smaller tham M3 batches and was constantly moved into the sun and in shelted from rain

it is easier to store in big pile, but wood goes mouldy, more effort and expense to store in crates, so pass extra on to client and add on the FUSSY TAX

therefore premium product=premium price

but i would rather do less work for a product recieved buy the ungrateful to just be burnt without a thought to the effort involved

all of my wood is now stored in vented crates and undercover and some still goes mouldy

fussy customer is now gone, but not to anyone local and my life is easier

Firewoodman

I have also spotted this trend so we now do solar dried wood. Upmarket name for drying wood in IBC containers in a 20 mtr clear polytunnel. Might not create any more sales but with every man and his dog doing logs a nice clean product might just clinch the deal and allow for that additional premium.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i had a customer who insisted his firewood was clean, almost to planed finish, i told him this would cost more as more care and effort was involved

to do this the wood needed to almost instant dry on the outside and needed to stay this way so it was stored in smaller tham M3 batches and was constantly moved into the sun and in shelted from rain

it is easier to store in big pile, but wood goes mouldy, more effort and expense to store in crates, so pass extra on to client and add on the FUSSY TAX

therefore premium product=premium price

but i would rather do less work for a product recieved buy the ungrateful to just be burnt without a thought to the effort involved

all of my wood is now stored in vented crates and undercover and some still goes mouldy

fussy customer is now gone, but not to anyone local and my life is easier

Customers like that you can do without, once had one who wanted all his logs cut exactly 12 inches long because his log store was 2ft deep and it made it easier for him to stack them :001_huh::001_rolleyes::001_cool:

Customers like that you can do without, once had one who wanted all his logs cut exactly 12 inches long because his log store was 2ft deep and it made it easier for him to stack them :001_huh::001_rolleyes::001_cool:

I do that, cut it to an exact size I mean. I even have different drying piles for the odd shaped sized ones so they don't get mixed up with the perfectly cut stuff. Then again I have to have all the labels facing outwards when stuff gets put away in cupboards. Maybe I'm odd :001_smile:

We tend to run the strimmer around our our drying timber.It means that there are not so many woodlice present at the bottom of the piles,thus dryer.Old books I have read say to keep the wood 12" of the ground to allow a good air flow underneath.

I have a problem with my logs at the moment

Worm holes in the ash only , thousands of little holes , customers think they are woodworm and look very bad

I clear all my stock every year and still they come back , anyone have the same problem ?

I have exactly the same problem with my own logs and its only with the ash. Elm, hawthorn, horse chestnut, oak, no holes at all??