Mouldy logs and vented bags.

Dave Martin

thats what sycamore and h/chestnut go like anyway tbh - if you left it in the cord wood, youd find that when you cut it you get a fine black power dust from the drying of the wood - those logs look fine - looking well seasoned, splitting at ends and will burn just great - you will never get them to look nice and clean - thats the nature of that wood. sycamore is great firewood but doesnt look particulary clean looking, beech will go a nice dark colour once seasoned, birch can go over if not sold just at the precise time, ash stays nice and clean looking

tbh thats why we dont fell alot chestnut, just for the shear length of time to dry on a commercial basis - we stick with beech, ash, oak, birch then sycamore in that order - only use the chestnuts if we fell in part of our tree surgery basis and then probably only give it to relatives etc as it smoulders weve found.

dont worry dave youve done everything fine

Thanks Logbaron .. Thats just what I wanted to hear :thumbup1: I was just about to mention the black powder on the sycamore.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

they are fine mate.

you are selling them to be burnt at the end of the day, they are not for decoration!!

its the potato syndrome.....when you look at the outside, they are covered in crap (unless washed) but the inside is lovely!!!

customers are after the heat, not the beauty.

but if you can keep them cleaner you can charge more, but then its all relative to time, effort and expense

in my opinon anyway!

i had a customer who insisted his firewood was clean, almost to planed finish, i told him this would cost more as more care and effort was involved

to do this the wood needed to almost instant dry on the outside and needed to stay this way so it was stored in smaller tham M3 batches and was constantly moved into the sun and in shelted from rain

it is easier to store in big pile, but wood goes mouldy, more effort and expense to store in crates, so pass extra on to client and add on the FUSSY TAX

therefore premium product=premium price

but i would rather do less work for a product recieved buy the ungrateful to just be burnt without a thought to the effort involved

all of my wood is now stored in vented crates and undercover and some still goes mouldy

fussy customer is now gone, but not to anyone local and my life is easier

i had a customer who insisted his firewood was clean, almost to planed finish, i told him this would cost more as more care and effort was involved

to do this the wood needed to almost instant dry on the outside and needed to stay this way so it was stored in smaller tham M3 batches and was constantly moved into the sun and in shelted from rain

it is easier to store in big pile, but wood goes mouldy, more effort and expense to store in crates, so pass extra on to client and add on the FUSSY TAX

therefore premium product=premium price

but i would rather do less work for a product recieved buy the ungrateful to just be burnt without a thought to the effort involved

all of my wood is now stored in vented crates and undercover and some still goes mouldy

fussy customer is now gone, but not to anyone local and my life is easier

I may be one of these `FUSSY` people myself :biggrin: I like to store the wood in the inglenooks and like it to look clean and `pretty` :blushing:

I may be one of these `FUSSY` people myself :biggrin: I like to store the wood in the inglenooks and like it to look clean and `pretty` :blushing:

OMG - i dont believe it - and you call yourself a firewood man!:lol:

better send some pledge over for you dave - are you turning all Tony Blackburn on us all :001_tt2:

we cut alot of sycamore last november to leave native woodland for SNH and sap was pouring from stumps this was when it was freezing as site was around a loch . removed sycamore last week at a mansion house with absolutely none ,noticed this many times.sycamore burns best when red dots appear on bark dont you agree