Mouldy logs and vented bags.

Dave Martin

Any input on this would be greatly appreciated,

I am storing logs in vented bags uncovered in a breezy location yet I am still getting a mould on the logs. Horse Chestnut and Sycamore seem to be the worst affected. The logs burn very well but do not look particularly good. I will be building a barn for storage soon but meanwhile am I wasting my time storing them this way or is the mould just an accepted part of wood fuel?

20100613_7.jpg.ce132fa52cedc1b2558173544db1b596.jpg

20100613_5.jpg.a07c6b878a9c630ba48e24972d02bfb6.jpg

20100613_9.jpg.6dfc784d0ce1d59a43d80579ccbd51b7.jpg

20100613_3.jpg.e960091213a7ad26b00c9ff96297a563.jpg

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think I would be covering them but loosely and raised up off the logs, just to keep the rain off.

I`m starting to think the same ... a sort of tent type thing with tyres holding up the centre. But it has been said on here so many times that its not essential to cover them :confused1:

Ditto that, cover them but keep the cover up off the logs.

Mine in the barn in a big pile still go mouldy in the middle, but worse than that. Thats why I started leaving them outside to partailly season then under cover for the final seasoniing

I thought about doing the same as you, storing in vented bags but under cover. But I reckon in a barn they wouldn't get the aircirculating round them that they need to keep mould free.

Tin sheets are the ideal cover as they will not drape over the sides

I`m starting to think the same ... a sort of tent type thing with tyres holding up the centre. But it has been said on here so many times that its not essential to cover them :confused1:

You sure?

They do need ventilation but I always thought they need protecting from the rain or they will start to rot.

Well ok not essential to cover them but it does really help imo.

It's difficult to tell from your pictures but it looks like you could probably do with spacing them out a bit more to allow the vents to work. Horse Chestnut can be difficult to dry without it rotting anyway. :001_smile:

The bags in the second pic are spaced about 2 to 3 feet apart but in the top pic I didnt realise the need to space them but this doesnt seem to be a factor with the mould as the ones on the tops of the bags are going mouldy.

thats what sycamore and h/chestnut go like anyway tbh - if you left it in the cord wood, youd find that when you cut it you get a fine black power dust from the drying of the wood - those logs look fine - looking well seasoned, splitting at ends and will burn just great - you will never get them to look nice and clean - thats the nature of that wood. sycamore is great firewood but doesnt look particulary clean looking, beech will go a nice dark colour once seasoned, birch can go over if not sold just at the precise time, ash stays nice and clean looking

tbh thats why we dont fell alot chestnut, just for the shear length of time to dry on a commercial basis - we stick with beech, ash, oak, birch then sycamore in that order - only use the chestnuts if we fell in part of our tree surgery basis and then probably only give it to relatives etc as it smoulders weve found.

dont worry dave youve done everything fine

Edited by Joy Yeomans