Whats a realistic price to fell one tree

TREE-SURGEON-ESSEX

Big trees are a PITA when in comes to money in your pocket at the end of the job IMO.

Be the cheapest and get the job just to bust up yourself, your lads, your kit, your truck etc? No thanks.

If your 20 tonne estimate is correct though, there's a few quid in the logs.

We need pics!

Dammit, I'll do it for £1750....:001_tt2:

I'd give a written quote of £1200 and tell them to ring a "We'll beat any genuine quote" merchant :laugh1:

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think if you are on the same job for a few days then the rate per day can go down a bit.

For example, if I were to charge 450 for one days work, I don't have to charge 4 times 450 for four days work. I could go down a bit on the day rate cos one quote has landed me four days work, instead of four quotes to get me four days work.

Also on bigger jobs there may only be one clear up at the end, you can leave loads of stuff one site, signs, bollards etc, so that save time each day.

Another thing is the kind of work you are doing means that there could be one day of shifting blocks of wood, are you going to charge the same for that as the rigging days?

Price it for what your customer wants, and manage their expectaions. Stop worrying about your day rate etc. Its a lot easier to get one pay cheque each week than it is to chase round the countryside for 5+ pay cheques, plus all the time quoting.

We all say "free quotations" but I know when I fill up the car on a saturday quote day then its not going to be free for me at all, so all the jobs I get pay for their quotes AND for the quotes that I didn't get.

I think if you are on the same job for a few days then the rate per day can go down a bit.

For example, if I were to charge 450 for one days work, I don't have to charge 4 times 450 for four days work. I could go down a bit on the day rate cos one quote has landed me four days work, instead of four quotes to get me four days work.

Also on bigger jobs there may only be one clear up at the end, you can leave loads of stuff one site, signs, bollards etc, so that save time each day.

Another thing is the kind of work you are doing means that there could be one day of shifting blocks of wood, are you going to charge the same for that as the rigging days?

Price it for what your customer wants, and manage their expectaions. Stop worrying about your day rate etc. Its a lot easier to get one pay cheque each week than it is to chase round the countryside for 5+ pay cheques, plus all the time quoting.

We all say "free quotations" but I know when I fill up the car on a saturday quote day then its not going to be free for me at all, so all the jobs I get pay for their quotes AND for the quotes that I didn't get.

very good post rupe

Wise words.

Plus the enjoyment factor. Reducing Buddliah (sp) is a good earner, but doesn't hit the picture forum that often...

Just don't cut your own throat to get the job is what I'm saying, for next time.

Edited by Mark Bolam
Dumb question!

:thumbup1:

you can tell rupe has been around the block a few times, very sound words from a wise old dog.

• 4 years later...

I once took down a tree in Glasgow a big oak tree must have been 10 trips with a transit van, i priced it at 1400 pounds. I took it down myself, had my dinner break roped up to me, fuel and ciggs when the packet runned out. One grounds men a ex whiskey worker from Kilmarnock. the tree was lending over the house, when i was out on the branch i was well over the middle of the house. But i managed to get this beast down in a very safe manner. just took my time. i could see in to the apartments of a 5 story house, hired a stump grinder carlton the big 70 something. was a school next to it, needed signs, so went a trip around the area and whoolaayy there was many did borrow them and put them out. the fire wood for this was crazy alot. If i was you i would price for 2000 pounds and make sure you get the monies out of the logs that will be your profit.

Just price it as low as you can and see the profit in the logs. a year from now when they are dry you make you profit, if the tree is massive it will also give you good memories to look back to, nothing can beat some good memories. I know from when i used to live in my home country Sweden i once felled a massive big very very big tree on a power line the full thing went up in flames so i phoned up the power company told them i had a problem. "without knowing team 2 had also felled a tree on the very same power line and they also had a problem, power company thought it was the same issue and shut the power, team 2 phones up and say problem sorted" meanwhile i stand there trying to get the tree away from the 20000 volts power line and they turn the power on, it's situations like that that will give you memories for life. so i would if i was you put the price very low, and get up in this beast and don't think to much of profits and other things, just see it as a good experience. Nothing can beat it. i look back so many times on works i done and it makes me very happy. Big jobs is the ones that makes yourself happy, just go for it price it low and do it lol ....