Whats a realistic price to fell one tree

TREE-SURGEON-ESSEX

priced a 70-80ft tall 40ft wide tree massive huge great limbs overhanging fences sheds green house and garage also close to house.

All needs lowering and tree looks to weight aprox 20 ton i worked out 10-15 truck loads transit loads 1.2 ton.

And the trunk is about min 6ft across also have to grind the stump which is gonna be a turd of a job.

I worked out maybe 3 days at worst an extra half day at worst on top,

how much would you have priced.

what would you honestly price i thought at least three grand might be where i went wrong but so much could have gone wrong needed alot of work to prep the site and alot of the price was cost plus its an insurance job so all through the books etc.

never herd back so assume its been done

i thought 2 climbers 3 groundsmen and me

2 climbers for 2 days 3 groundsmen and me all 3 days

Alot of big heavy log which would be hard work for the guys to carry out.:confused1:

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Difficult to say without seeing it.

Crane access? Hiab access?

The other way to look at it is if you had put a low price on it to win it, and it had taken you days, you'd be out of pocket. Some jobs just arent worth doing.

Has the tree been done by another contractor? No harm in phoning the client and asking for feedback on your quote, they can either tell you or not at their discretion.

priced a 70-80ft tall 40ft wide tree massive huge great limbs overhanging fences sheds green house and garage also close to house.

All needs lowering and tree looks to weight aprox 20 ton i worked out 10-15 truck loads transit loads 1.2 ton.

And the trunk is about min 6ft across also have to grind the stump which is gonna be a turd of a job.

I worked out maybe 3 days at worst an extra half day at worst on top,

how much would you have priced.

what would you honestly price i thought at least three grand might be where i went wrong but so much could have gone wrong needed alot of work to prep the site and alot of the price was cost plus its an insurance job so all through the books etc.

never herd back so assume its been done

i thought 2 climbers 3 groundsmen and me

2 climbers for 2 days 3 groundsmen and me all 3 days

Alot of big heavy log which would be hard work for the guys to carry out.:confused1:

Love that bit:thumbup:

I work the above out at 13 man days so thats £230 per man day. Sounds high to me but probably about right for what plenty of others seem to charge.

Going by my £150 per man day on big take downs I'd be just under 2K

Going by your manpower to do the job and estimated time to carry out work including clearance, I came up with 3900. I priced a beech last year, 3 quotes inc mine were in the low 2ks, the winner (?) was in at 1100. Win some, lose some:thumbup:

Everyones running costs are different. So prices are always gonna vary. I think the general public will literally faint on the spot when you tell them it will cost 3grand to cut a tree down. Even if at that price you make very little actual profit.

Two climbers for productivity 1 climber would prob need 3 days just to get it all down i need to have it down and ground out with all arisings removed in three days i would prob run into a 4th with only 1 in the tree.

I meant 2 climbers for the first two days to get the bulk done then just me a 3 groundys for the last day blocking the trunk grinding the stump?.

Also i have to run loads so i cant be in the tree non stop hence two.

Believe me this was a beast.

If you charged 2grand what profit margin if any would you expect to make.

You can put lots of men on a job do it in less time cost more in labour or less men more time cost in time ??.

Edited by TREE-SURGEON-ESSEX