Would you do it?

Mick Stockbridge

Have you ever tried running without moving one of your arms, its hard work :biggrin:

The trees will disagree with your theory, they will if left alone always try and balance back up. Nature always wins in the end.

True, but a lot of that is about optimising the available light.

When the wind blows the whole weight of of the crown is levering in the direction of the wind anyway, so in reality any weight removed lessens the load.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Removing all the foliage from one side of a tree has consequences not discimilar to that stated above, and leaves one side of the tree under nourished, including the roots once fed by the foliage once connected.

This is NEVER a good scenario.

WELL DOCUMENTED

( huck, do you like my CAPITALISATIONS, for EMPHASIS!) lol:001_tt2:

Got you big boy, :lol:

IME, most trees put the foliage back on in no time, its just that its all bushy and in a more confined space.

if its both limbs, do it, create a new polard, lovely jubly, if not both limbs, tell em to hire some travelers.

but do it the pollard about two feet up from that junction so dysfunction isnt at that point .

two small wounds as apposed to two wounds close together and joining via coalesence.

Totally agree. Not sentimental over the fact it's an oak; I wouldn't do that to any tree with that structure. Fell or light reduction, or as above pollard. There are a lot of pollarded oaks around here, many of them knackered tho.

Id try and talk them into the fell BUT if they are 100% they dont want that and want it to the red line, Then yes, Id do it.

Same as Mozza on this one.

just do it you tart:001_tt2:

IME, most trees put the foliage back on in no time, its just that its all bushy and in a more confined space.

Depends on the tree though, like you say MOST, but Ive seen plenty of line clearances on my treks where trees have been taken back to the trunk from ground to sky and havent bushed back out with anything like the growth you are probably suggesting.

Due to good collar cuts and work, technicaly speaking, but had more internodal cuts been made ( i know its against BS 3998) more regrowth and continued support would have resulted.

personly i dont know why line clearance is not done by felling a clear line as apposed to cutting back.

This could generate loads of "edge" habitat and maybe a few monos for a bit of standing dead.

just my side thoughts.:thumbup:

Thought you was going to take the bait! lol:thumbup:

Depends on the tree though, like you say MOST, but Ive seen plenty of line clearances on my treks where trees have been taken back to the trunk from ground to sky and havent bushed back out with anything like the growth you are probably suggesting.

Due to good collar cuts and work, technicaly speaking, but had more internodal cuts been made ( i know its against BS 3998) more regrowth and continued support would have resulted.

personly i dont know why line clearance is not done by felling a clear line as apposed to cutting back.

This could generate loads of "edge" habitat and maybe a few monos for a bit of standing dead.

Thought you was going to take the bait! lol:thumbup:

tony,you nrrd to aim that statement @ the utilitys not us chaps on hear ,but you may find it falls on deaf ears ,as the owners usaly have the last say:001_smile:

:

Daft as it sounds, they actually try to disguise the poles and lines behind trees, to lessen the visual impact on the landscape.

I would try and make them see sense, but if they insist I'd do it.

I don't buy this unbalanced stuff, when I did line clearance I cut the side off some huge trees with no problems, I also worked on huge trees that had had one side taken off years ago and where doing just fine.

tony,you nrrd to aim that statement @ the utilitys not us chaps on hear ,but you may find it falls on deaf ears ,as the owners usaly have the last say:001_smile:

wood picker dont know what you mean buy this highlighted word? is it nerd?

and my post was relevant due to hucks comment highlighted above.:sneaky2:

wood picker dont know what you mean buy this highlighted word? is it nerd?

and my post was relevant due to hucks comment highlighted above.:sneaky2:

I think it should have read "need".

I knew what you were saying Tony:001_smile: