An invitation to foray with me

:thumbup1:i thought i would offer all who have some interest in fungi to join me on a guided walk within Whppendell woods during september/october depending on conditions.

i can promise only that you will enjoy the walk and that you will be sure to find some great fungal discoveries of your own within this SSSI, i am no expert, but i am sure most of you will learn a bit iether from me, the wood herself or from others that come along.

if this is well recieved i will extend the offer to a foray every other month in an ancient woodland, iether of your choosing or of mine, Ashridge park springs to mind, though i have found some new sites recently that offer some different oportunities.

i offer this welcome as a novice and to fellow enthusiasts without any superiority nor "condescending" attitude to a rank ametuer, in fact rank ametuers are more than welcome and I will bend over backwards to encourage you as well as help you to find and record the ones you most desire. i know how it is when you first set out to find the "classic" arb fungi, i will enjoy helping you find your prey!

I have come a long way myself, and now find myself feeling that helping others discover these amazing organisms and sharing in thier experiences will be as rewarding as my own first findings and i hope and intend to help anyone who comes along to find the same "buzz" that i have when i find something new.

if you also have an ancient woodland near you and would like me to join you in your wood, please do not hessitate to ask, as i am always willing to discover new woods and fungi, especialy with enthusiastic fellow funguys, or girls!:thumbup:

i am regulary visiting burnham beeches, ashridge park, whippendell woods and also get up to hatfield forest in essex from time to time, so if you would like to join me please feel free to PM me and we will go foraying together and maybe learn a thing or two about woodland life.

I will also add that i am a trained photographer, and more than willing to pas on these skills as we go, i will make sure you go home with at least one great fungi image, or die trying!

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:thumbup1:i thought i would offer all who have some interest in fungi to join me on a guided walk within Whppendell woods during september/october depending on conditions.

i can promise only that you will enjoy the walk and that you will be sure to find some great fungal discoveries of your own within this SSSI, i am no expert, but i am sure most of you will learn a bit iether from me, the wood herself or from others that come along.

if this is well recieved i will extend the offer to a foray every other month in an ancient woodland, iether of your choosing or of mine, Ashridge park springs to mind, though i have found some new sites recently that offer some different oportunities.

i offer this welcome as a novice and to fellow enthusiasts without any superiority nor "condescending" attitude to a rank ametuer, in fact rank ametuers are more than welcome and I will bend over backwards to encourage you as well as help you to find and record the ones you most desire. i know how it is when you first set out to find the "classic" arb fungi, i will enjoy helping you find your prey!

I have come a long way myself, and now find myself feeling that helping others discover these amazing organisms and sharing in thier experiences will be as rewarding as my own first findings and i hope and intend to help anyone who comes along to find the same "buzz" that i have when i find something new.

if you also have an ancient woodland near you and would like me to join you in your wood, please do not hessitate to ask, as i am always willing to discover new woods and fungi, especialy with enthusiastic fellow funguys, or girls!:thumbup:

i am regulary visiting burnham beeches, ashridge park, whippendell woods and also get up to hatfield forest in essex from time to time, so if you would like to join me please feel free to PM me and we will go foraying together and maybe learn a thing or two about woodland life.

I will also add that i am a trained photographer, and more than willing to pas on these skills as we go, i will make sure you go home with at least one great fungi image, or die trying!

Having seen the picture of you in those dark green bib n brace looking like something out of deliverence I don't really like the idea of you "bending over backwards" deep in some dark woods. Hahahahahaha

no, seriously. Great idea mate. Wish I lived closer. Not got a huge interest in funghi but have a huge appettite for learning. As i am sure I would from you.

Good show old chap.

Tony

If you lived closer I would love to take you up on the offer and it's an excellent idea.

The problem most have with fungi is knowing whether or not they have got their id right and not having someone their to confirm. I got the book and gave up because of this.

A guided tour of fungi pointing out its characteristics and methods of remembering and id'ing would be excellent and would be worth the travel but not worth the travel that far.

Good on you mate, excellent idea :thumbup1:

To all who have posted, as i said i am willing to travel to walk in a woodland near you, the one thing I lack is a viable reason to travel further afield and that is limiting my own discoveries now.

When you get to my understanding of fungi, you start to recognise the dynamics of a population, and my habitats, my "natural nieghbourhoods" now hold only sporadic new suprises. Going to an entirely new region would balloon my learning exponentialy, so find me a B+B close by and come fungi season we will go see whats about in YOUR neck of the woods!